Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: The Beatles

Members:

John Lennon
Paul McCartney
Goerge Harrison
Ringo Star

Albums:

Please Please Me (1963)
With The Beatles (1963)
Introducing...The Beatles (1964)
Meet The Beatles! (1964)
Twist and Shout (1964)
The Beatles' second Album (1964)
The Beatles' Long Tall Sally (1964)
A Hard Days Night (1964)
Something New (1964)
Beatles For Sale (1964)
Beatles 65' (1964)
Beatles VI (1965)
Help! (1965)
Rubber Soul (1965)
Yesterday And Today (1966)
Revolver (1966)
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967)
Magical Mystery Tour (1967)
The Beatles (1968)
Yellow Submarine (1969)
Abbey Road (1969)
Let It Be (1970)

The Beatles were an English rock band formed in Liverpool in 1960, becoming one of the most commercially successful and critically acclaimed acts in the history of popular music. The group's best-known lineup consisted of John Lennon (rhythm guitar/vocals), Paul McCartney (bass guitar/vocals), George Harrison (lead guitar/vocals), and Ringo Starr (drums/vocals). Rooted in skiffle and 1950s rock and roll, the group later utilised many genres, ranging from pop ballads to psychedelic rock, often incorporating classical and other elements, in innovative ways. In the early 1960s, their enormous popularity first emerged as "Beatlemania", but as their songwriting grew in sophistication, they came to be perceived by many fans and cultural observers as an embodiment of the ideals shared by the era's sociocultural revolutions.
As a five-piece line-up of Lennon, McCartney and Harrison on guitar and vocals, with Stuart Sutcliffe (bass), and Pete Best (drums), the band built their reputation playing clubs in Liverpool and Hamburg over a three-year period from 1960. Sutcliffe left the group in 1961, and Best was replaced by Starr the following year. They were moulded into a professional act by manager Brian Epstein, and their musical potential was enhanced by the creativity of producer George Martin. They gained popularity in the United Kingdom after their first single, "Love Me Do", became a modest hit in late 1962. They acquired the nickname the "Fab Four" as Beatlemania grew in Britain over the following year, and by early 1964 they had become international stars, leading the "British Invasion" of the United States pop market. The band toured extensively around the world until August 1966, when they performed their final commercial concert. From 1966 they produced what many critics consider to be some of their finest material, including the innovative and widely influential albums Revolver (1966), Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967), The Beatles (1968), and Abbey Road (1969). After their break-up in 1970, the ex-Beatles each found success in individual musical careers. Lennon was murdered in 1980, and Harrison died of cancer in 2001. McCartney and Starr remain active.
The Beatles are the best-selling band in history, with sales of over one billion units estimated by EMI Records. They have had more number-one albums on the British charts and sold more singles in the UK than any other act. According to the RIAA, as of 2012 they have sold 177 million units in the US, more than any other artist, and in 2008 they topped Billboard magazine's list of the all-time most successful Hot 100 artists. As of 2012, they hold the record for most number-one hits on the Hot 100 chart with 20. They have received 7 Grammy Awards from the American National Academy of Recording Arts and Sciences, an Academy Award for Best Original Song Score and 15 Ivor Novello Awards from the British Academy of Songwriters, Composers and Authors. They were collectively included in Time magazine's compilation of the 20th century's 100 most influential people.

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

I'm just beginning to get my feet wet with this legendary band. I've started with Revolver and have listened to that several times now while playing Hot Shots Golf/Everybody's Golf. It slowly grew on me, and now I really like it. It's just so laid-back and relaxing. The opener, which is the original version of Taxman, is my favorite track. I love the bass work on that one, and in general throughout the album, really.

Taxman

Eleanor Rigby

Doctor Robert

And Your Bird Can Sing

On a personal note, the little family-owned store where I used to work played all sorts of 50s/60s rock and roll/classic rock from some satellite radio station, and naturally, these guys got played a lot. I didn't like the music much at the time because I was exclusively into metal then, and we played the same exact stuff all day, every day. By the time you had spent not even a week there, you had pretty much heard everything. Plus, the sound system there wasn't amazing, so there were important details in the music that would just get lost completely, like the bass.

Mr. Gregory

Revolver is my favorite Beatles album!

It's so good, man. I don't even know which one to listen to next. I'll be listening to this one for a while. I like "Paperback Writer" as well. I was going to pick up whatever album that was on next, but it looks like that was just a random single.

I guess we'll just go in chronological order with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and see what happens.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

It's so good, man. I don't even know which one to listen to next. I'll be listening to this one for a while. I like "Paperback Writer" as well. I was going to pick up whatever album that was on next, but it looks like that was just a random single.

I guess we'll just go in chronological order with Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and see what happens.
Paperback Writer was originally a single, but it was re-released on a compilation album, "Hey Jude". This album included many singles that we're never on an album previously. There's a lot of really good stuff on the Hey Jude album.

Mr. Gregory

Paperback Writer was originally a single, but it was re-released on a compilation album, "Hey Jude". This album included many singles that we're never on an album previously. There's a lot of really good stuff on the Hey Jude album.
I listened to both Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road this weekend. They were okay, but not as good as Revolver IMO. I can't find Hey Jude as an mp3 album, and they want $50 for the CD on Amazon. No thanks. :gig:

There's a remastered compilation album called "1" that was released in 2000 and has both Paperback Writer and Hey Jude on it. It looks like a random collection of their songs. I'm not normally a fan of those types of albums, but maybe I'll check that one out next.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I listened to both Sgt. Pepper's and Abbey Road this weekend. They were okay, but not as good as Revolver IMO. I can't find Hey Jude as an mp3 album, and they want $50 for the CD on Amazon. No thanks. :gig:

There's a remastered compilation album called "1" that was released in 2000 and has both Paperback Writer and Hey Jude on it. It looks like a random collection of their songs. I'm not normally a fan of those types of albums, but maybe I'll check that one out next.
An good alternative to the Hey Jude album would be "The Beatles Past Masters Vol. 2" I have this on CD. It has a lot of the songs from Hey Jude.

Mr. Gregory

We were sitting in the local watering hole watching some crappy band and they played When I’m Sixty Four. I realized that I first heard this song when it came out in 1967 and that I am now 64.
It's funny you mention that, because the first person that came to mind when that song came on while I was listening to Sgt. Pepper's was you. Ha ha. I knew you were somewhere in your early-mid 60s but didn't know your exact age.

An good alternative to the Hey Jude album would be "The Beatles Past Masters Vol. 2" I have this on CD. It has a lot of the songs from Hey Jude.
Man, Amazon only has this stuff on CDs, not as mp3 albums. What the heck? :(

I bought Revolver and 1. Can't wait to jam some "Paperback Writer" in the car. Ha ha. I recognize a lot of the songs from those albums as songs that I heard while working at the store, which brings back some pleasant memories.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
It's funny you mention that, because the first person that came to mind when that song came on while I was listening to Sgt. Pepper's was you. Ha ha. I knew you were somewhere in your early-mid 60s but didn't know your exact age.

Man, Amazon only has this stuff on CDs, not as mp3 albums. What the heck? :(

I bought Revolver and 1. Can't wait to jam some "Paperback Writer" in the car. Ha ha. I recognize a lot of the songs from those albums as songs that I heard while working at the store, which brings back some pleasant memories.
I will typically buy a CD and convert the CD to mp3s myself, I like the idea of being able to hold the music in my hands, meaning that I'm buying something tangible. Another plus of owning the CD is having the ability of listening to the music uncompressed. CDs are typically 16bit/44khz., some are actually 24bit/96khz.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

A good one to listen to next would be "Magical Mystery Tour". This was the first Beatles album I listened extensively. I've literally heard it hundreds of times in my past.

Mr. Gregory

I will typically buy a CD and convert the CD to mp3s myself, I like the idea of being able to hold the music in my hands, meaning that I'm buying something tangible. Another plus of owning the CD is having the ability of listening to the music uncompressed. CDs are typically 16bit/44khz., some are actually 24bit/96khz.
I used to do that, but these days, I'm all about keeping clutter to a minimum. I don't even want to think about what a physical disc collection of every album I own would look like. I'm perfectly content to stare at the album art on my mp3 player or tablet.

A good one to listen to next would be "Magical Mystery Tour". This was the first Beatles album I listened extensively. I've literally heard it hundreds of times in my past.
That one's actually available on Amazon Prime Music. I'll have to check it out.

Lynch

In my humble opinion, nothing they did was better than their swan song, Abbey Road. Before anyone says "wut aboot Let It Be", well, LIB was released after Abbey Road, however, much of Let It Be was recorded in 1968 before they had done anything with Abbey Road. So, calling A.R. their "swan song" is technically correct, although no chronologically correct.

Anyway, Abbey Road is as good as it gets for me. The most rock-solid album, from start to finish, that the band ever recorded. The White Album could have had this distinction if not for being a double-disc that has almost an entire disc of drivel that I would throw away if I could.

1536115090000.png