Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

(1990) Band L to R: Sean Kinney, Jerry Cantrell, Layne Staley, Mike Starr​

(2017) Band L to R: Mike Inez, Jerry Cantrell, William Duvall, Sean Kinney
Official Website

Pre Alice In Chains was a glam band called Sleze then they changed it to Alice N' Chains very soon after assembling their first Demo. They released 2 Demos in 1987. Demo No. 1 with 3 songs, was under the name Sleze. Demo No. 2, with 6 songs, was under the name Alice N' Chains.

Fat Girls from No. 1

Over The Edge from No. 1

Lip Lock from No. 1

Glamorous Girls from No. 2

Don't Be Satisfied from No. 2

Sealed With a Kiss from No. 2

As you can hear, the band was very different with both demo's. During this time (1987), Alice N' Chains was playing all over the Seattle, Washington area playing Slayer and Armored Saint covers. They didn't last long as a band.

Layne soon met up with Jerry Cantrell and Sean Kinney and Alice In Chains was born. Mike Starr came on board about the same time as Layne Staley. Alice In Chains is known for the unique vocal style of Layne Staley and the harmonies of Staley and Cantrell. I would say these two are my favorite for vocal harmonies.....I just love AIC.

Albums with Staley: (with links to the albums)
The Band went on Hiatus because of Layne Staley's substance abuse and other issues. Layne died in 2002. William Duvall met Jerry Cantrell in 2000 and joined Alice In Chains officially in 2006.

Albums with Duvall: (with links to the albums)

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I love this band! So much great music, I have so many favorites from them,

this has to top my list, it's probably the mellowest tune that you'll hear from them,... "No Excuses" great tune

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Speed King your image is a broken link....

I love AIC, too. Jar of Flies is my favorite, however, the first album with William Duvall, Black Gives Way to Blue, is decent.

From Black Gives Way to Blue - Your Decision

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Alice in Chains is working on a new album which will be released later in 2018.

Newest Video

(y)

DrMaddVibe

Saw them with Layne and without. It was a bit different...but it was covered well. I don't know how else to put it.

The one setting was a "Velvet Rope" encounter the day of seeing them in Orlando at the Hard Rock Cafe...it was acoustic setting and they answered questions and talked about their songs...well worth the stay that weekend. I went with my son and the night before we saw the Yeah Yeah Yeahs and then he had to hang with me for AIC.

Post Layne..see what I mean?

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
yep. Layne will always be my favorite vocalist. Actually he is one of my all time favorites. It sounds strange to hear Duvall's covers.

I am glad to see them making their own music with Duvall. He really is a good vocalist/frontman.

Lynch

AIC is by FAR my favorite band from that era/genre. No other grunge band ever really caught my eye. STP's first couple of albums were good, but otherwise, most of the rest of it makes me either cringe or just go "meh".

Staley's vocals are among my all-time favorite in all of rock. There are a few women in rock that can sing and give me goosebumps, but not very many guys have ever been able to do it. Staley is one of the few that can. Rooster gets me very time I listen to it. I do like the vast majority of the albums and songs they did from Facelift through Three Legged Dog (self titled 4th album). It's a damn shame we lost a brilliant vocalist the way we did. We can just be happy that we got what we got and that he left a lasting mark through their music.

The two newer albums with Duvall aren't bad. I don't listen to them very often, but occasionally will pull one out. the newest song with Jerry on lead vocals is pretty damn good, although the video is odd. Looking forward to the rest of the new album.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
New album Rainier Fog will be released August 24, 2018.

Alice-in-Chains-Rainier-Fog.jpg

Tracklist:
1. "The One You Know"
2. "Rainier Fog"
3. "Red Giant"
4. "Fly"
5. "Drone"
6. "Deaf Ears Blind Eyes"
7. "Maybe"
8. "So Far Under"
9. "Never Fade"
10. "All I Am"

Pat Catalano

Oh wow those old demos really sound nothing like the band at all. Interesting to see how most the "Seattle" bands all have roots in 80's metal. I was never a fan of the band but i filled in for this band that did an April fools show as Alice in Chains. I had to play a whole set of just AIC lol fun times.

AIC is by FAR my favorite band from that era/genre. No other grunge band ever really caught my eye. STP's first couple of albums were good, but otherwise, most of the rest of it makes me either cringe or just go "meh".

Staley's vocals are among my all-time favorite in all of rock. There are a few women in rock that can sing and give me goosebumps, but not very many guys have ever been able to do it. Staley is one of the few that can. Rooster gets me very time I listen to it. I do like the vast majority of the albums and songs they did from Facelift through Three Legged Dog (self titled 4th album). It's a damn shame we lost a brilliant vocalist the way we did. We can just be happy that we got what we got and that he left a lasting mark through their music.

The two newer albums with Duvall aren't bad. I don't listen to them very often, but occasionally will pull one out. the newest song with Jerry on lead vocals is pretty damn good, although the video is odd. Looking forward to the rest of the new album.
Layne also gave me the chills. His voice sounded like he was right there in my bedroom. Jerry is also a fine guitarist and songwriter

Lynch

I always liked Staley's vocals, but it wasn't until the last few years that I gained a newfound appreciation for just how good he was and since has risen to the pedestal that I put him on now as one of my all-time favorite vocalists.

I also think that part of the 'magic' with AIC is the vocal harmonies between Staley and Jerry.