Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glam Metal Quiet Riot

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
58C78B38-quiet-riot-live-video-of-entire-september-1979-whisky-a-go-go-show-featuring-kevin-du...jpg
Original Lineup L to R: Drew Forsyth, Kevin Dubrow, Kelly Garni, Randy Rhoades

quietriotdurbin2017band_638.jpg

L to R (2017): Chuck Wright, Frankie Banali, James Durbin, Alex Grossi​

Official Website

Current Members:

Albums: (with links to album info & videos)

Quiet Riot are one of the more successful glam metal / hard rock bands to come from Los Angeles. In the mid 70's Kevin Dubrow and Kelly Garni could not get along which put a huge strain on the band. They did put out 2 albums with the original lineup, QR I and QR II, but these were only released in Japan. Then in 1979, Ozzy Osbourne hired Randy Rhoades and everyone thought Quiet Riot would end and it did, for a short time.

Kevin Dubrow started putting the band back together in 1982 after getting permission from Randy Rhoades to continue as Quiet Riot. The first official Quiet Riot album was released in 1983 with a band lineup of Kevin Dubrow, Carlos Cavazo, Rudy Sarzo, and Frankie Banali. They would put out one more album together then came more band member changes and lots of conflict.

Somehow, Quiet Riot has managed to stay alive, and put out albums, one as recent as 2017, even with numerous vocalist and band member changes.

I'm sure this album need no introductions:

But I am going to introduce Condition Critical....which is a pretty good album....at least a 4 star rating, IMO.

Condition Critical

Winners Take All

Bad Boy

Last edited:

SiphonOfDestruction

Rhoads is my all-time favorite guitarist, he doesn't really require an introduction either...

But even after his departure, the band was still resolute against the opposition. I think Kevin Dubrow is an underrated frontman, he didn't really have such a great voice, but his stage presence was very imposing, in a good way.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I agree. Dubrow (RIP) was a very good frontman...however...I have read many things about how moody he was and was very hard to get along with.

BTW...Listened to 2 of their albums today I had never heard before....Their 2017 Road Rage and 1995 Down to the Bone. These are excellent albums. Both are a bit heavier than the real early stuff. I really like Road Rage!!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I've never heard anything from their first two albums (the ones with Randy Rhodes) but I've always wondered what they sounded like.

Lynch

Sounds decent, but I can't help by pre-judge these guys as being nothing more than a QR cover band. The guy they have on vocals does a pretty good job of emulating DuBrow's voice. I'm not taking anything away from that. The guitarist sounds ok, but watching them live, it just doesn't feel right. Maybe the striped mic stand and lack of stage presence has a lot to do with it. I saw QR a couple of times in the 80's and there was so much more energy on stage.

Lynch

Well, that's odd. I clicked on the video and I get "Premiers in 5 days, Sept 25 @11pm".

Wotdafook? Never seen that on YT before.

Lynch

I heard that new QR song about a week or two ago. I have to say that i"m not the least bit impressed by it. The music is ok, but the vocals are not doing it for me.

I don't dislike James Durbin, I"ve heard him do a couple of other things that sounded pretty decent. But his voice just doesn't work for me with Quiet Riot. Maybe it's because of QR's long history and he sounds nothing like the classic Kevin DuBrow vocals that we are so used to. *shrug*

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I agree @Lynch . There is just something special about the classic QR with DuBrow. However.............I think the "Cowboy" theme of the new album is freakin hilarious. It isn't country sounding, it isn't even a bluesy album, nor does it have a south-west flair. It's hard to imagine metal cowboys...
:roflmao

On a more serious note though, with Frankie Benali being diagnosed with late stage pancreatic cancer, this may be the last new album we hear from Quiet Riot.

Lynch

Yeah, very few success stories when it comes to pancreatic cancer. :( You are likely correct that this'll be the last new album from QR.

Blast from the past:

Quiet Riot - Metal Health (Live at the '83 US Festival)