Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Rocker Uriah Heep

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
9D582D65-E0FC-4144-930A-9B33EED1F60A.jpeg

Official Website: Uriah Heep

Members:

David Byron
Mick Box
Gary Thain
Ken Hensley
Lee Kerslake

Albums: (The album title is a link to the album thread with album video)

...Very 'eavy...Very 'umble 1970
Look At Yourself 1971
Salisbury 1971
The Magician's Birthday 1972
Demon's And Wizards 1972
Sweet Freedom 1973
Wonderworld 1974
Return to Fantasy 1975

High and Mighty 1976
Innocent Victim 1977
Firefly 1977
Fallen Angel 1978
Conquest 1980
Abominog 1982
Head First 1983
Equator 1985
Raging Silence 1989
Different World 1991
Sea Of Light 1995
Sonic Oragami 1998
Wake The Sleeper 2008
Into The Wild 2011
Outsider 2014
Living The Dream 2018

Uriah Heep are an English rock band formed in London in 1969 and are regarded as one of the seminal hard rock acts of the early 1970s. Uriah Heep's progressive/art rock/heavy metal fusion's distinctive features have always been massive keyboards sound, strong vocal harmonies and (in the early years) David Byron's operatic vocals. Twelve of the band's albums have made it to the UK Albums Chart (Return to Fantasy reached No. 7 in 1975) while of the fifteen Billboard 200 Uriah Heep albums Demons and Wizards was the most successful (#23, 1972). In the late 1970s the band had massive success in Germany, where the "Lady in Black" single was a big hit.

Uriah Heep's audience declined by the 1980s, to the point where they became essentially a cult band in the United Kingdom and United States. The band, though, maintains a significant following and performs at arena-sized venues in the Balkans, Germany, Japan, the Netherlands, Russia and Scandinavia. They have sold over 30 million albums worldwide with over 4 million sales in the U.S.A.

Last edited:

Chyna WIcked

WOW!! I have always heard of this band over the years, but never checked them out...After reading all of this cool information, I will have to get one of their albums ASAP!!! Awesome write up!!! 8-]:headbang:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Click on the album names, they're links to the album threads where you can listen to the album via the embedded media.

Give "The Magicians Birthday" and "Wonderworld" a listen, Then "Demons and Wizards" and "Sweet Freedom"

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Very eavy and very umble desrve a listen also. Gypsy and Walkin In Your Shadow are 2 of my favorite Heep songs.

Chyna WIcked

Yup, I just figured out I can't order any of their stuff until the end of the month---am broke and a little disappointed...I will have to go to youtube to check them out in the mean time...:po:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Yup, I just figured out I can't order any of their stuff until the end of the month---am broke and a little disappointed...I will have to go to youtube to check them out in the mean time...:po:
Just click on the album titles listed in the first post, I have youtube videos posted in the album threads!

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
May 2018 is the 35th birthday of Head First

The Other Side of Midnight

brenluvbirds

I recall my 5th grade art teacher telling me (this was in recent years after I found him on facebook!) about Uriah Heep trashing a hotel room! well maybe not necessarily "trashing" it. his words were, "This group stayed in the little Italian seaside hotel I worked in years ago. They caused a scandal, but were nice guys." :cool: However a few yrs later another of my posts was followed by this comment from my teacher: "stayed in the little Italian seaside Hotel Berna I worked in (1970-1976). I remember them as (ahem...) "distinctive" guests who spent a good deal of their stay running up and down the halls and staircase. I won't say why." :eek:

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I love the Heep as well, my favorite abum is Wonderworld (1974)

For all the attention that Demon's and Wizards and Magician's Birthday received, Wonderworld is pretty much forgotten. Great album, and if you've never heard it, it's definitely worth a listen.

SiphonOfDestruction

You know how the big three acts of Britain that influenced heavy metal were Deep Purple, Black Sabbath, and Led Zeppelin?

Well, squeeze Uriah Heep somewhere in there. They're often respected in the rock music world, but still overlooked by many?

Anything with singer David Byron was golden. My favorite album by the Heep happens to be The Magician's Birthday... (Look At Yourself a close second)

What a masterpiece

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I love Uriah Heep as well, I remember reading somewhere that a rock critic back in the day hated this band so much he said "If this band makes it, I'll kill myself", as far as I know, he never made good on his promise.
:gig:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Look at Yourself will celebrate its 50th birthday September 30, 2021.

Wikipedia
Look at Yourself is the third studio album by British rock band Uriah Heep, released in September 1971 by Bronze Records in the UK and Mercury Records in the US.
Characterized as heavy metal and progressive rock,[3] the album came to be viewed as a high point in the band's career, and is today regarded by many fans and critics as Uriah Heep's finest album along with Demons and Wizards, released the following year. The title track and "July Morning" were released as singles in the UK and North America in 1971 and 1973, respectively. Look at Yourself was ranked at No. 97 in the 100 Heavy Metal albums of All Time list published by the magazine Kerrang!.[6]
"Look at Yourself" was the last Uriah Heep album to feature founding member and bassist Paul Newton.
The song "July Morning" was the inspiration for a Bulgarian tradition, known eponymously as July Morning or "Julaya", of gathering on the beach on the Black Sea coast on the morning of 1 July to watch the sunrise.[7]
The album was mentioned in the David Sedaris book Barrel Fever, in "Don's Story".
Look at Yourself was remastered and reissued by Castle Communications in 1996 with three bonus tracks, and again in 2003 in an expanded deluxe edition. In 2017, Sanctuary Records released a two-disc deluxe edition.
Look_At_Yourself_(Uriah_Heep_album_-_cover_art).jpg

Look at Yourself

Full album, enjoy!