Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glam Metal Steelheart

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
2e20108f4d57240fafcf50b2569211af.jpg

Official Website

Classic Lineup:

Current Members:
  • Miljenko Matijevic – lead vocals, rhythm and acoustic guitar, piano (1990–1992, 1996, 2006–present)
  • Uros Raskovski – lead and rhythm guitar (2006–2008, 2009–2010, 2014–present)
  • Rev Jones – bass (2007–present)
  • Mike Humbert – drums, percussion (2006–present)

Albums:

Steelheart is a glam metal / hard rock band from Connecticut. They are a band that was under promoted, under appreciated, and underrated. They shot out of the gate releasing an outstanding debut album with an equally excellent sophomore album, then they fell off the radar.............even though the band is still together with only one original member, Matijevic.

Miljenko "Mike" Matijevic had one of the best voices in metal music in the early 90's. If I am not mistaken, he had a 4 octave vocal range. The song writing, most of which is by Matijevic, is solid. The solos are classic of the 80's / 90's glam era, long and mind blowing. I highly recommend giving their first 2 albums a spin.

The Debut:
R-2759026-1320777676_jpeg.jpg

Love Ain't Easy (this contains Mike's highest vocal note, B5)

She's Gone

I'll Never Let You Go

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Steelheart%20-%20Tangled%20in%20Reins_enl.jpg

Sticky Side Up

Mama Don't You Cry

Electric Love Child

Last edited:

Lynch

outstanding band. It's too bad that Mike was involved in that accident which derailed their career. The timing couldn't have been worse, considering it was around the same timeframe as hard rock/glam going out the door in the early 90's.

I saw them open up for Lynch Mob at First Avenue back in 1990 and I was blown away. I knew nothing about them before that night. Went out and bought their debut album the next day (or maybe a couple of days, but it was soon thereafter). Mike's voice is amazing. Those first two albums are stellar. I have their albums from '96 and '08. Both are decent, but don't come close to the first two albums. I did see that they put out an album at some point last year, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I'd love to know if anyone has heard anything off of it and what they thought of it.

Lynch

By the way, if anyone wants to get some additional Mike Matijevic music, check out the movie Rock Star (2001) and/or the soundtrack. The Steel Dragon tunes on the soundtrack are an allstar cast of the following:

Vocals: Mike Matijevic (the non-Mike lead vocals in the movie were Jeff Scott Soto)
Guitar: Zakk Wydle
Bass: Jeff Pilson
Drums: Jason Bonham

Fun Movie, great soundtrack which also has songs from KISS, Motley Crue, Def Leppard, Ted Nugent, Bon Jovi, Sammy Hagar, AC/DC and a few others that I don't remember off of the top of my head. One of the songs on the soundtrack that was done by Steel Dragon was on Steelheart's second album, We All Die Young. This version was re-recorded from the original Steelheart version.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I have their albums from '96 and '08. Both are decent, but don't come close to the first two albums. Agree with you 100% I did see that they put out an album at some point last year, but I haven't seen it anywhere. I'd love to know if anyone has heard anything off of it and what they thought of it.
I have heard the 2017 album a couple times. It is not that bad. Fresh alternative style rock....not the AOR glam we all love so much but the vocals are clean and Miljenko sounds fantastic.

The hard rocker....

And a pretty good ballad...

Lynch

I like both songs. Might have to look around a bit to see if I can find this album.

Thanks! :cheers:

Lynch

Another good ballad from that album: Lips of Rain

I need to get this album. Of the three tracks I've heard so far, I like it better than the previous 2 albums!