Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Classic Metal Ozzy Osbourne

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
First couple tracks have been released for Ozzy's upcoming album to be released in early 2020.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I listened to both tracks all the way through and I want very much to love them, but I can't escape the realization that they fall so short of the benchmark of the Rhodes era Ozzy. Shouldn't artists get better as they get older and more experienced? I'd like to think I've gotten better at song writing as I've gotten older. Maybe Ozzy's been too infuenced by modern metal music to remember the formula that made his classic era music so great. It's all about the hook, I don't hear a hook in either of those two offerings. The hook is everything, the hook is what makes you want to listen to the song over and over again. Am I delusional in my thinking?, have we out grown the hook? I personally don't think so. Every really good tune I can think of has a hook that pulls you in and makes you, for lack of a better term, addicted to the tune. It's not just for icky sweet pop tunes, Black Sabbath was well known for songs that had hooks. I don't know, maybe I'm just a relic of a bygone era.

Last edited:

Lynch

Yeah, Ozzy has been doing that double (maybe even triple) vocal tracks for a while now. I'm not a fan, but it's better than auto-tune (although it might be considered auto-tune's better looking sister). I just don't think he can handle vocals without help anymore. No shame in that, the dude is in his 70's.

I don't mind Straight to Hell, but I also can't find myself listening to it much (at least not yet). I think that Graveyard is a much better tune. That's not to say it's "Classic Ozzy", but it's definitely the better of the two tracks, in my humble opinion. In a way, I'm looking forward to the new album, but as history likely will repeat itself, if these are the two best singles that the album has, expect another average-at-best album.

For my money, Ozzy hasn't put out a truly good/great album since No More Tears back in 1991. Couple of decent tracks here and there, but full albums? Meh.