Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A Classic Iron Butterfly

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
iron_butterfly-1589040138efa59bcdb964bd7586eb0ed0a451e5-s6-c30.jpg

L to R: Doug Ingle, Ron Bushy, Lee Dorman, Erik Brann
Official Website

Classic Lineup:
Albums: (with links to album info & videos)
We all know, and most love, In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida. The epic song, rich in the sound of an organ and deep guitar textures, which basically paved the road for hard rock (and heavy metal).

Iron Butterfly is an American hard rock/rock band that formed around 1966 and did all their early music practice literally in a garage. They soon became a regular act at the famous Whisky A Go Go in California, got a record contract, and released their first album, Heavy, in 1968.

For various reasons, there were quite a few band member changes after that first album was made. Then in the same year that they released Heavy they released the game changing In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida album, which is celebrating its 50th birthday June 2018.

SiphonOfDestruction

This was my first taste of psychedelic rock when I was super young. I heard the super long version of In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida, which evidently means, "In the Garden of Eden" after getting drunk off of wine!

Had to go back and listen a couple of years ago to more of their content and I'm with @Speed King on that album.

SiphonOfDestruction

I went back and listened to their discography recently. Really great stuff, if only they lasted longer, but they live on through the countless garage, hard rock, and heavy metal bands they've influenced.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I went back and listened to their discography recently. Really great stuff, if only they lasted longer, but they live on through the countless garage, hard rock, and heavy metal bands they've influenced.

Iron Butterfly was one of those bands that had a "heaviness" that was before it's time. They were extremely influential to future hard rock and metal artists, much like The Velvet Underground (who at the time was considered experimental) had an influence on Punk, Hard Rock, and Grunge . I believe if it weren't for the radio air time In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida received, Iron Butterfly would have been a forgotten band.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I agree, both the song and the album were very popular, and with the exception of the song In-A-Godda-Da-vita, the rest of the album is very "poppy" sounding in comparison to the previous album "Ball"