Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symphonic Within Temptation

Mr. Gregory

withintemptation_2017.png

Official Website

Current members:
Notable former members:
Albums:
Within Temptation is a Dutch symphonic metal band formed in 1996 by Sharon den Adel and Robert Westerholt. They started out with a gothic sound and shifted toward their current symphonic style beginning with Mother Earth. They're a little different from most symphonic metal bands in that Sharon doesn't really do operatic vocals. Rest assured, though, her singing is as incredible, powerful, and beautiful as anyone else's I've ever heard in metal, or in any other genre of music, really. She sets the tone while the guitars chug along behind her and the keyboard is peppered in perfectly in between. Their accessibility and top-notch musicianship easily makes them one of my favorite bands in this subgenre.

As with most bands, I generally prefer their later work, but I've recently listened to Mother Earth and The Silent Force (I've heard portions of the former and the latter in its entirety). They're not bad albums at all. I'll probably be buying both of them soon. If I had to choose, I'd probably say that my favorite album of theirs is Hydra, but I like all of their stuff. Lately, my go-to has been The Heart of Everything. The intro track, "The Howling," is just perfect. It starts off softly, with Sharon gently humming along with a melancholy keyboard playing in the background, and then the guitars, string effects, and a choir kick in, and it hits very hard.

I didn't know this until recently, but apparently Sharon and Robert have been an item for a long time now. They met back in high school and actually have three children together. Robert's younger brother, Martijn, left the band in 2001 to start a band of his own (and another one of my favorites), Delain, with Charlotte Wessels.

It's been a while since they've released anything new, and Sharon has been busy with her solo project, "My Indigo," but they have apparently started working on a new album. I'm definitely looking forward to it, whenever it is released. Until then, we've got plenty of great material to listen to. Check it out!

Mother Earth (intro and title track from that album)

Ice Queen (from Mother Earth)

The Howling (from The Heart of Everything)

Shot in the Dark (from The Unforgiving)

Faster (from The Unforgiving)

Dangerous (feat. Howard Jones - from Hydra)

Paradise (What About Us?) (feat. Tarja - from Hydra)

Whole World is Watching (feat. Piotr Rogucki - from Hydra)

Members online

No members online now.