Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What Is Hard Rock?

People's personal preferences aside, I'm not sure I would call Bon Jovi, or even Boston - who I do like, and are discussed elsewhere on this forum - hard rock. Soft rock? Melodic rock? Which brings us neatly back to the OP question. But even the OP's definition, "if it rocks hard, it is hard rock" can be questioned. What is "rocking hard"? (behave yourselves now! :rolleyes: lol).

But at the end of the day, I think I tend to settle on Lynch's view:

I'm more into labels of "I like it" or "Don't really care for it" or "that sucks" as the labels of choice these days.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
i found this well written opus of an article on how to scale the hardness of music. The article is loaded with links to some humorous side articles and added information. If you scroll to the bottom of the article you get the 1-11 scale with examples.

Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness

Note: this article is worthy of its own thread....it is that good.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Muddying the waters a bit more, crossover artists, guys like Steve Earle, Shooter Jennings, Blackberry Smoke and Cross Canadian Ragweed. There stuck in that world between rock and country but each one of them can rock with the best of them.

This song has one of the best rock riffs ever.

Lynch

Love me some Shooter Jennings. I grew up listening to his old man, and still listen to ol' Waylon on a regular basis. The first time I saw Shooter, was back in 1982 when Waylon walked him out on stage and introduced his little 3 yr old son to the audience.

It was probably around this time frame (this is a picture from one of Shooter's other videos):

1524616555991.png

I think that Shooter's first two albums were his best, but he definitely has a number of good tracks littered throughout his discography.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I consider Shooter a Hard Rock artist. Honestly all that hellbilly, rock-a-billy stuff is hard, IMO

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Da Turdy Point Buck was done by some guys from Wisconsin called Bananas At Large.

DaYoopers did Second Week Of Deer Camp

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I met DaYoopers a few decades ago. Biggest bunch of arrogant arseholes I ever met.
You can say assholes here (as long as it's not directed at a fellow forum member),...we have a short list of words you can't say, but assholes is acceptable. God knows the world is full of them!

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
You can say assholes here (as long as it's not directed at a fellow forum member),...we have a short list of words you can't say, but assholes is acceptable. God knows the world is full of them!
LOL, it’s a carry over from Racing-forums. We can’t say assholes there.