Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you listening to, hard rock version?

Lynch

@Magic

Ahh yeah, I had that Hardline album, I think it was the only one that I bought. Biggest reason that I bought it was because of Hot Cherie. Solid album!

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
R-501684-1420736502-5094_jpeg.jpg

I haven't listened to these guys in a VERY long time.

This live version of Kryptonite is really good!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
@Magic, anytime anyone dismisses a band as a "copycat" band, I respond with what Judy Funnie said once in an episode of Doug: if nobody ever copied anybody, we'd all be running around naked grunting at each other. I have zero problem with bands like that.
I couldn't agree more with this statement, virtually everything done today (and even older music) is in some way dirivative of music that went before it.

I made the mistake a while back of letting some asshat listen to my original music. One particular song he said I was "ripping off" Pink Floyd. I told him I was a huge fan of Pink Floyd and that it was impossible for me "not" to be influenced by them. He said the song in question sounded "exactly" like a song on Animals. I strained my brain to come up with which song he was talking about. He mentioned acoustic guitar and Moog, I had to think about it for a while, what I was able to figure out, was that he meant Welcome to the Machine from the album Wish You Were Here . It really bothered me that someone I trusted would take a stab at me like that. This guy is a guitar player in a well known local band in Rockford, he sure doesn't know his Pink Floyd very well.

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
@Mr. Gregory
Woohoo! it's the rebel himself...Lemmy! What a cool cameo appearance.

Another band that gets coined as an AC/DC clone is Rose Tattoo. I don't find them to be as close a clone as Airbourne or Stripwired. Like you said, AC/DC's simplistic formula worked and there is still plenty of room for more simplistic bands. The musical material is still original, that's what counts....

I was introduced to Rose Tattoo from Z-Rock out of Chicago, I never really made the connection of them to AC/DC, to me they were just a good old hard rock band.

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I was introduced to Rose Tattoo from Z-Rock out Chicago, I never really made the connection of them to AC/DC, to me they were just a good old hard rock band.

I didn't make the AC/DC connection either until the lounge chair critics pointed out "certain" songs. IMHO, just a couple songs doesn't make them a clone band, nor does it even make a band a rip-off.

The controversy has been going on for years on Led Zeppelin being a rip-off band. However, there has not been a band like LZ in the past nor the future. They are legends, in my book.

@Mr. Gregory will get a kick out of this......if the singer has a beast like "growl" does that make the band a clone of all the other bands whose singer growls? In other words, almost all death metal is the same!!!

Even funnier, the first use of the "growl" was The Who, Boris the Spider back in 1966...........LOL. So, all metal that uses the growl has ripped off The Who and John Entwistle.

Mr. Gregory

I couldn't agree more with this statement, virtually everything done today (and even older music) is in some way dirivative of music that went before it.

I made the mistake a while back of letting some asshat listen to my original music. One particular song he said I was "ripping off" Pink Floyd. I told him I was a huge fan of Pink Floyd and that it was impossible for me "not" to be influenced by them. He said the song in question sounded "exactly" like a song on Animals. I strained my brain to come up with which song he was talking about. He mentioned acoustic guitar and Moog, I had to think about it for a while, what I was able to figure out, was that he meant Welcome to the Machine from the album Wish You Were Here . It really bothered me that someone I trusted would take a stab at me like that. This guy is a guitar player in a well known local band in Rockford, he sure doesn't know his Pink Floyd very well.
Yeah, that kind of stuff drives me nuts. Riffs/sounds in music aren't trademarked, and they don't just spring up out of nowhere. Everybody has influences, and everybody sounds like somebody else, to some degree, at some point in time. It's impossible to avoid.

Mr. Gregory

@Mr. Gregory will get a kick out of this......if the singer has a beast like "growl" does that make the band a clone of all the other bands whose singer growls? In other words, almost all death metal is the same!!!

Even funnier, the first use of the "growl" was The Who, Boris the Spider back in 1966...........LOL. So, all metal that uses the growl has ripped off The Who and John Entwistle.
:gig:

You can take it even further and say that all bands/artists in different genres and subgenres of music are clones of each other. I mean, they all sound pretty similar to one another, so...

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

You can take it even further and say that all bands/artists in different genres and subgenres of music are clones of each other. I mean, they all sound pretty similar to one another, so...

:post:

Music is just one big playlist. You can just leave the Rap off mine......

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Listening to some instrumental, trippy soundscapes at the moment......A new debut album from a progressive rock / metal band, Heofon..from Canada. The album, 5th Key, was released June 21, 2019. A lot of influence from King Crimson!!

a1735165824_10.jpg

Full album compliments of Heofon..