Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you listening to, hard rock version?

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
a3043063760_10.jpg

This is a brand new album, Illusion Of Choice, by a band called Woopie Cat. Excellent stuff! Very bluesy, with hard rock touches and mind blowing riffage. The vocalist is outstanding. I will have to introduce y'all to 'em.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Oldhippie Oh wow, I do like those guys, just based on the 2 vids posted. People say rock is dead and gone....but I beg to disagree. There is plenty of good new bands, who aren't just copycats of the 70's and 80's.

I don't use Spotify but youtube has been doing an excellent job of dropping new albums on my recommends. Their means for collecting data to MY tastes has improved 100%. I don't know what they are doing that is new to place good videos in my account, but I hope it continues!!

Here is something new from John Fogerty & Billy Gibbons.......which made it's debut in May.......

Holy Grail

(y)

Mr. Gregory

Best Coast is a solid alternative/indie rock band. Their lyrics are all about love and relationships, but instrumentally, they have a bit of a harder sound than most of the bands I've posted of this subgenre so far. Before today, I hadn't listened to them for a little while. They play straightforward, upbeat, '90s-sounding rockin' tunes.

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

I never really gave Skillet's album Rise a chance when it was first released back in 2013, because I was exclusively into metal at that point in time and didn't want to hear anything else. I just listened to it today, and yeah, it's very radio-friendly hard rock, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the reviews/ratings I've seen have made it out to be.

I'll have to listen to it again so I can form more of an opinion on it, but these two songs in particular are pretty good. I like the animation in these two videos. The cover art for the album was done in the same style.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I never really gave Skillet's album Rise a chance when it was first released back in 2013, because I was exclusively into metal at that point in time and didn't want to hear anything else. I just listened to it today, and yeah, it's very radio-friendly hard rock, but it's not nearly as bad as some of the reviews/ratings I've seen have made it out to be.

I'll have to listen to it again so I can form more of an opinion on it, but these two songs in particular are pretty good. I like the animation in these two videos. The cover art for the album was done in the same style.

I like Skillet. Haven't listened to them in quite a while. I am going to have to re-visit them soon.

I have a funny story how I found Skillet. I was searching for Southern Rock bands a few years back, and saw the name Skillet. The name sounded southern, right?. Once I began listening to them, I was pleasantly surprised to find a NON southern band.
:gig:

Mr. Gregory

I like Skillet. Haven't listened to them in quite a while. I am going to have to re-visit them soon.

I have a funny story how I found Skillet. I was searching for Southern Rock bands a few years back, and saw the name Skillet. The name sounded southern, right?. Once I began listening to them, I was pleasantly surprised to find a NON southern band.
:gig:
LOL.

I've listened to Rise several times now, and yeah, I don't get the hate. It's a pretty solid album. The opening riff in Rise really pumps me up, and Not Gonna Die is just a great hard rock song. Everything about the intro, which starts as the outro of the previous song on the album, Good To Be Alive, is friggin' awesome (video automatically plays at 4 minute mark):

I mean, wow. I wasn't expecting to hear that at all. It blew me away the first time I heard it.

The only song on the album that I truly dislike is My Religion. I don't mind the lyrics, but they just don't mesh well with the instrumentation at all in my opinion.

Like, no. Stop it. :gig:

Latest posts