Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crank It Stone Temple Pilots

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: Stone Temple Pilots

Members:

Scott Weiland
Dean DeLeo
Robert DeLeo
Eric Kretz

Albums:

Core (1992)
Purple (1994)
Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop (1996)
No. 4 (1999)
Shangi-La Dee Da (2001)
Stone Temple Pilots (2010)
Stone Temple Pilots (2018)

Stone Temple Pilots (often abbreviated to STP) is an American rock band from San Diego, California that consists of Scott Weiland (lead vocals), brothers Robert DeLeo (bass guitar, vocals) and Dean DeLeo (guitar), and Eric Kretz (drums, percussion).

After forming in 1986 under the name Mighty Joe Young, the band found immediate success in 1993 after signing with Atlantic Records and releasing their debut album Core (1992) under the STP moniker. The band went on to become one of the most commercially successful bands of the 1990s, releasing four more studio albums: Purple (1994), Tiny Music... Songs from the Vatican Gift Shop (1996), No. 4 (1999) and Shangri-La Dee Da (2001) before separating in 2003, after which the band members partook in various projects, most notably Velvet Revolver and Army of Anyone. STP eventually reconvened in 2008 for a reunion tour, released a new self-titled album in 2010, and have been actively touring since.

While initially displaying a sound typically identified as grunge early on in its career, further releases from the band have shown a variety of influences, including psychedelic rock, bossa nova and classic rock. The band's evolution throughout the 1990s and early 2000s involved several tumultuous periods of commercial highs and lows, brought about in part by Weiland's well-publicized struggles with drug addiction.

Last edited:

Lynch

I find it really odd that their last album with Weiland was titled "Stone Temple Pilots", and now that Scott is long since gone, they have replaced him and are releasing yet another album titled "Stone Temple Pilots".

DrMaddVibe

I saw them twice and it was really a miserable concert experience. Scott was out of his mind, the rest of the band would start and stop in the middle of songs. Just unprofessional and nothing like the studio magic they could perform.

My wife and I saw them on the last tour and the stints with Velvet Revolver obviously worked because here he was...sober...engaging and entertaining on all cylinders. There's a great DVD of the stop in Chicago...we saw virtually the same show here in Tampa.

HIGHLY recommend getting it or watching it at least once!

He was a force to be reckoned with. Him with his demons, and the DeLeo brothers with their talents and Kretz always keeping the time. Sad it had to end the way it did. Scott's solo records are every bit as good too. On those he was really pushing himself to show his former band he was worthy of belonging. I don't know what makes artists go off the chain and do what they do. It's just sad. We could've had so much more music from him. I'm glad that we finally got to see the Scott that was on the records. The Scott with the megaphone. The Scott dancing from side to side of the stage while the band raged.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I have so many favorites from this band, they had a lot of great songs, (they had some clinkers too) but when they were on, they made great music!

Dead And Bloated-from the debut album "Core"

Plush-from the debut album "Core"
Sex Type Thing-from the debut album "Core"
Crackerman-from the debut album "Core"
Creep-from the debut album "Core"
Meatplow-from "Purple"
Big Empty-from "Purple"
Unglued-from "Purple"
Silvergun Superman-from "Purple"
Vasoline-from "Purple"

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Interstate Love Song-from Purple
Lady Picture Show-from Tiny Music
Big Bang Baby-from Tiny Music
Down-from No. 4
All in the Suit That You Wear-Recorded as single for the Spiderman movie
Plush unplugged-I was blown away at how well this transitioned to an acoustic song.

Last edited:
Big empty and interstate love song are my personal favorites. Scott had an incredible tone to his voice. Unfortunately he is underrated and will always be in the shadows of the cobains ,vedder, cornells and staleys of the world.

Last edited: