Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Guitar God Dokken

Lynch

1522743898057.png

Official Website

Classic Lineup:
  • Don Dokken - Vocals
  • George Lynch - Guitars
  • Jeff Pilson - Bass
  • Mick Brown - Drums
Current Lineup:
  • Don Dokken - Vocals
  • Jon Levin - Guitars
  • Chris McCarvill - Bass
  • Mick Brown - Drums
Formed in 1979, the band went through multiple lineup changes while touring Europe during their first couple of years. Breaking the Chains was their first album which was recorded and released in 1981. The lineup in the band at that time was the "classic" lineup listed above, with the exception of bass duties were covered by Juan Crocier who was simultaneously in Dokken and Ratt. He left the band before the recording of Dokken's second album and was replaced by Jeff Pilson. This lineup was the mainstay from 1983 to 1997. The band broke up in 1989, but reformed in 1993, putting out 2 studio and 1 live album before George was out of the band in 1997. The final album with the classic lineup was Shadowlife. Don hired John Norum (of Europe fame) to replace George on guitars to finish up the tour. John and Don already had a working relationship as Norum was one of two guitarists on Don's solo album (Up from the Ashes) in 1990. This was a short-lived lineup as Norum had other commitments that he could not get out of. For the band's 1998 album, Erase the Slate, the band hired Reb Beach (of Winger) to take on the guitar duties. He was only with the band for one album before leaving the band. Erase the Slate was also the last studio album for Jeff Pilson who also left the band.

Without going through the other numerous lineup changes over the next 20 years, I'll just say that nothing has ever or will ever compare to the classic lineup in their prime. Don has obviously been a mainstay in the band as has Mick Brown on drums. Even though Mick has bounced around as a touring and recording drummer for various other artists over the years, he was almost always there for the Dokken albums, the only exception being the last studio album, Broken Bones (2012) due to other commitments, however to this day, he still is a member of the band.

In my opinion, Dokken was a bit of an anomaly when it came to the hard rock and/or hair metal boom of the 80's. They were a band based out of Los Angeles during the 1980s, however, they did not have that typical "LA Metal" sound that so many other bands had. I assume that this is due to Don's touring of Europe in the late 70's and early 80's. I think it influenced him to the point that he didn't sing like the other guys from his old stomping grounds, leading him to sounding a bit more like a European hard rock vocalist.

Discography: *(with links to album info)

* not listing compilation or all of the live albums

Lynch

During their 4-year hiatus (89-93), Don released one solo album, Up From the Ashes with an all-star cast of characters including John Norum (of Europe), Peter Baltes (Accept), Mickey Dee (King Diamond) and Billy White (Watchtower).

1522746704541.png

This is a very solid album and sounds very similar to previous Dokken albums. Don wanted to release this album as a Dokken (the band) album, however if I remember correct, the studio would not allow it. So, it was released as a Don Dokken "solo" album.

If you like 80's Dokken, I would definitely suggest checking this album out.

Crash n Burn

Stay

Lynch

When Dokken broke up in 1989, George formed a new band, Lynch Mob (a band that I will definitely be creating a thread for). The first notable name in his band would be Mick Brown, who he had played with throughout their entire careers in Dokken, but dating back to the mid 70's. The first two albums are very near and dear to my heart and among my all-time favorite albums, by any artist ... any genre.

1990 - Wicked Sensation
1522747040328.png

1992 - Lynch Mob
1522747060328.png

But I won't go into detail about either of these albums as I mentioned I'll be making a Lynch Mob / George Lynch thread at a later date. Suffice it to say, if you liked 80's Dokken or specifically the guitar playing of George during his time in Dokken, I think that you'd love these two albums. He really shines on Wicked Sensation as he was no longer constrained by Don. His musical freedom starts to really show on this album. On the second, self-titled album, I think George may have been at his all-time best. Darker moods, longer and more emotional solos than we had typically heard from him before.

That's all I'll say on that topic for now.

Last edited:

Pat Catalano

Up from the ashes is one of the best Dokken albums that was not a Dokken album!!
During their 4-year hiatus (89-93), Don released one solo album, Up From the Ashes with an all-star cast of characters including John Norum (of Europe), Peter Baltes (Accept), Mickey Dee (King Diamond) and Billy White (Watchtower).

View attachment 21

This is a very solid album and sounds very similar to previous Dokken albums. Don wanted to release this album as a Dokken (the band) album, however if I remember correct, the studio would not allow it. So, it was released as a Don Dokken "solo" album.

If you like 80's Dokken, I would definitely suggest checking this album out.

Lynch

Up from the ashes is one of the best Dokken albums that was not a Dokken album!!
I agree completely. GREAT album.

I wish I could find my copy. I either lost it, or have it tucked away in storage someplace and haven't seen it in years. Sucks because I'd love to listen to it but obviously can't.

The other thing, my copy was signed by the band. I got to meet the band before their local show on that tour, had the whole band sign the CD insert, and also had Don sign the CD itself. I still remember him looking at me weird when I asked him to sign the actual disc (top, not the playable side, obviously) and he said "weird, I've never been asked to do that before".

IF that's true, I have the VERY FIRST CD that Don ever signed. :D Have or had, can't tell at this point. :unsure:

Pat Catalano

You need to find that CD...STAT! Lol. I was lucky to see that line up here in Chicago, Front row at the Vic Theater.I will never forget that show.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Gave this album a listen today. Going to go through the whole discog album by album (y)

breaking-the-chains-5502b8af1015e.jpg

In the Middle

Full Album, Enjoy!

Lynch

Good stuff! I like their first album, mostly because it was their first album. I've never been enamored by it like I was for the few albums that followed. Tooth and Nail, Under Lock and Key, Back for the Attack and the live Beast From the East (all before the original breakup) are among my alltime favorite albums.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I like Tooth and Nail, Back for the Attack, too (y) Don't think I've listened to Beast from the East. Live albums just don't appeal to me that much.......but there are exceptions.

Since I'm going through the whole discography, I may throw out some album reviews or mini summaries in this thread. (The least I can do, right).....lol.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Gave this bad boy a listen today.
51R5nfBaPaL.jpg

This album is not as heavy as the first 2 releases. It is more "ballady", which is right up my alley.

A stand out track for me.....

Don't Lie To Me

It is amazing to see these guys so young with all the hair n stuff

full Album, Enjoy!

Lynch

I agree completely. GREAT album.

I wish I could find my copy. I either lost it, or have it tucked away in storage someplace and haven't seen it in years. Sucks because I'd love to listen to it but obviously can't.

The other thing, my copy was signed by the band. I got to meet the band before their local show on that tour, had the whole band sign the CD insert, and also had Don sign the CD itself. I still remember him looking at me weird when I asked him to sign the actual disc (top, not the playable side, obviously) and he said "weird, I've never been asked to do that before".

IF that's true, I have the VERY FIRST CD that Don ever signed. :D Have or had, can't tell at this point. :unsure:
Oh hey, I found this CD just a couple of weeks back. Cleaning out storage and going through my thousands of CDs and other shit. Ended up stumbling across this very disc. I'm not kidding, I was doing a "Snoopy dance". I was out in the garage and was exstatic. Not because this disc is so amazing (I mean, I -really- like it) but just because I had that one-of-a-kind disc as well as I've never been able to find it anywhere for a normal price. The jewel case was half-trashed, but the insert is in decent condition and the disc is still cherry.

Here's the autograph on the CD:

1567900714543.png

After I found it, I brought it into the house IMMEDIATELY and ripped it on the computer. So, I've got it digitized and hopefully saved forever.

Lynch

I like Tooth and Nail, Back for the Attack, too (y) Don't think I've listened to Beast from the East. Live albums just don't appeal to me that much.......but there are exceptions.

Since I'm going through the whole discography, I may throw out some album reviews or mini summaries in this thread. (The least I can do, right).....lol.
Beast From the East is a rock solid live album. The whole band sounds pretty damn good from start to finish. It's kind of amazing considering the infighting that was already going on at the point they were on this tour.

I saw them in the summer of 88 and the band sounded good, but you could tell there were issues as Don and George didn't get anywhere near each other (from what I remember) for that entire show.

By the way, Under Lock and Key is my favorite album from the band. Love Tooth and Nail, love Back for the Attack, but Under Lock and Key is the one that really grabbed me and has been my favorite ever since it came out.

Lynch

Tooth and Nail was the album that first caught my attention with the band. Under Lock and Key sold me as a life-long fan. Back For the Attack was just icing on the cake. Three of my favorite albums from the 80's.