Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symphonic Xandria

Mr. Gregory

xandria.jpg
Official Website

Current members:
  • Marco Heubaum (guitar)
  • Philip Restemeier (lead guitar)
  • Gerit Lamm (drums)
  • Steven Wussow (bass)
Albums:
Xandria is a symphonic metal band from Germany, and they're pretty much my favorite in this subgenre at the moment and easily one of my favorite bands overall. You may have noticed that there are five people in the picture, but there are only four names in the lineup. That's because, yet again, they're looking for a new vocalist. They have had three so far, Lisa Middelhauve (Kill the Sun -> Salomé), Manuela Kraller (Neverworld's End), and the lovely Dianne van Giersbergen (Sacrificium, Fire & Ashes [2015 EP], and Theater of Dimensions), who is pictured above. They've toured with Aeva Maurelle for a little while, but nothing has been announced as far as a replacement vocalist yet, so they're kind of in limbo at the moment.

Their earlier stuff has a bit of a gothic vibe to it, and with Neverworld's End, they started to shift towards a more aggressive power metal sound that I absolutely love. My man Philip always kills it on the solos, and Marco backs him up beautifully. Couple that with Dianne's gentle yet powerful operatic vocals and some solid drum and bass work from Gerit and Steven, respectively, and you've got an awesome mix that I could listen to all day long.

Sacrificium is my favorite album of theirs and is an absolute masterpiece as far as I'm concerned. The disappointment that I felt after learning that Manuela left the band quickly went away once I heard Dianne's voice on the opening track. Everything just blended together so perfectly on that album. I need to spend some more time listening to Theater of Dimensions, but it's very good as well.

I've already posted a couple of songs from Neverworld's End in another thread, so here's one of my favorites from Sacrificium.

Here's a song from their Fire and Ashes EP. It's a cover of a Sonata Arctica song, and I'm not normally a fan of covers, but it's so good. The song is about a couple whose relationship has apparently gone very, very south for whatever reason, and the man is seemingly about to torture (or kill?) the woman. Not sure. The original was written from the man's perspective, and Xandria's cover is written from the woman's perspective. Pretty cool.

Finally, here's a good single from Theater of Dimensions.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.