Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you listening to, heavy metal version ?

Mr. Gregory

I haven't been listening to much metal lately - it's been a lot of Myrkur (her newest album Folkesange, which is all traditional-sounding folk music), Alvvays, and Alter Bridge for the last couple of weeks - but I just saw that Lamb of God has a new self-titled album coming out on May 8.

It's been a while since I've listened to them. They typically use a lot of profanity, which y'all know I'm not a big fan of in my music, and I can't edit it on Spotify as I could when I used to buy and download all of my music. I'm also not nearly as angry/moody as I was when I listened to them regularly. That being said, these two singles are profanity-free and quite good!

Mr. Gregory

All of a sudden, over the last couple of days, I've developed a bit of a hankering for some In This Moment. (I blame Lady Gaga and her newest album, Chromatica, for that. Taking a chance on her reminded me of Maria Brink's somewhat similar appearance/aesthetic.) I didn't like either of their last two albums, Black Widow and Ritual, all that much, save for some of the singles. To be honest, I'm not even sure that I got all the way through both of them.

After hearing "The In-Between" not too long after they released it as a single, I wasn't even going to listen to their latest album, Mother. On a whim, I went back to it today, and I was just kinda like "ehh, it's aight." Then, in the sidebar, I found these two songs, "As Above So Below" and "God Is She," and yeah, they're both pretty good. I think I'm gonna go ahead and give Mother a chance and see what happens.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I am going to post this here because.....from my research Kauan has created some extreme metal albums. However, this album isn't metal. It reminds me of the atmospheric, ambient, post-rock of Sigur Ros. I was introduced to this album by my new friend @JimBeam. We were discussing piano pieces in music and he suggested I listen to "Siiville Nousu" by Kauan. It's a gorgeous piano piece, BTW.

I then hunted up the album.

a0080916338_10.jpg

Full Album

Mr. Gregory

I've listened to Mother three or four times now. I'm not crazy about how it starts off with a cover (I'm not a big fan of covers in general, and this album has two of them), but even so, it's not a bad album. This song in particular, Legacy, has really grown on me. It's possibly my current favorite track.

Lamb of God's new self-titled album has finally come out, and it's also very good.

Mr. Gregory

@Mr. Gregory I haven't listened to the S/T Lamb of God, yet. I haven't been in the mood for the growls.......but I will get to it soon :)
It's been a while since I've listened to them at length. I had outgrown the angry sounding stuff like that and moved on to other music, but the new album brought me right back.

I can take or leave growls in general, but I've always loved Randy Blythe's growls. They're angry for sure, but at the same time, they're quite intelligible and a little demented-sounding. Ha ha.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I can take or leave growls in general, but I've always loved Randy Blythe's growls. They're angry for sure, but at the same time, they're quite intelligible and a little demented-sounding. Ha ha.

I think that is the point to growls........to sound demented, angry, and demonic. However, I do love "Beauty and the Beast" versions with bands like Tristania, Serenia, Epica, Within Temptation, Leaves' Eyes.......those would be my bowl of gravy!!!