Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hair Metal W.A.S.P.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: W.A.S.P.

Current Members:

Albums:

W.A.S.P. is an American heavy metal band formed in 1982 by Blackie Lawless, who is the last remaining original member of the band. They emerged from the early 1980s Los Angeles heavy metal scene. The band's popularity peaked that decade, yet they continue to record and tour, making them one of the most enduring of the West Coast heavy metal bands. W.A.S.P. gained notoriety for their shock rock-themed image, lyrics and live performances. They have sold over 12 million copies of their albums.
(From Wiki)

Blackie Lawless in 2017 - still sporting the hair!

Lynch

I have most of their albums, but am missing the last couple. I must have listened to Golgotha about 5 or 6 times last week. Something about it REALLY grabs me.

I definitely need to get this album! This song, especially the outro solo, gives me goosebumps.

Last edited:

Lynch

Interesting side note... the first time that I saw W.A.S.P. in concert was the same show that I first saw Metallica (and also Armored Saint)

1523291437161.png

Originally billed as a "drinking age only" show that was later repealed and changed to an all-ages show (otherwise we wouldn't have been able to go).,

BTW: First Avenue is the same main bar/club that is seen in numerous scenes of Prince's Purple Rain movie.

1523291526905.png

I've seen a number of bands at this place over the years. Pretty historic club in the Minneapolis music scene.

Lynch

In a WASP mood today. Just listening to the closing track on The Crimson Idol

1523328711513.png

I am definitely curious to see what Blackie is planning for the 'soundtrack' to Idol that is supposed to be coming out later this year.

Pat Catalano

Attachments

Lynch

I had someone send me the video for this and I was blown away at the direction he took the band. I know people find faith in many different times in life. I was very interested and found this interview about this album. I am not sure how I missed this!!
Blackie Lawless about the brand new music as well as his resurgence of faith
Yeah, I heard something a while back that he had found God (again) and was going to start including a few more faith-based songs into the mix. Golgatha is a perfect example of that. I think that might be the best song the band has done since The Crimson Idol period. I definitely can feel the emotion in the singing as well as the lyrics. Love the outro solo as well.

One other thing, because of his faith, I also read that they no longer sing Animal (F**K Like a Beast) in concert anymore.

Pat Catalano

LOL yeah that's what i hear. I laugh because I play in a christian rock band in church every sunday. I speak very slowly at church. I told the pastor I am strong in my faith i never had to "find" god I just had ups and downs in my faith. And i told him i say Fuck a lot so i am sure I am forgiven lol

Lynch

I had someone send me the video for this and I was blown away at the direction he took the band. I know people find faith in many different times in life. I was very interested and found this interview about this album. I am not sure how I missed this!!
Blackie Lawless about the brand new music as well as his resurgence of faith

I just picked up the Golgotha album and I have to say that on the very first listen, I loved it. There are at least 2 or 3 other songs that have a similar feel, song structure, etc that the title track does. Definitely a rock solid effort, all the way through. I stand by one of my previous posts that this is easily the best album the band has done since The Crimson Idol.

1528174169723.png

Track Listing:
1) Scream
2) Last Runaway
3) Shotgun
4) Miss You
5) Fallen Under
6) Slaves of the New World Order
7) Eyes of My Maker
8) Hero of the World
9) Golgotha

I would also say that the guitar solos are among the best I've heard from them since the original Chris Holmes era, along with being among the most heartfelt solos.

Great album. Going to be listening to it again in a little while.

Lynch

LOL yeah that's what i hear. I laugh because I play in a christian rock band in church every sunday. I speak very slowly at church. I told the pastor I am strong in my faith i never had to "find" god I just had ups and downs in my faith. And i told him i say Fuck a lot so i am sure I am forgiven lol
(y)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
W.A.S.P. debut album celebrates its 35th birthday August 2019.

51Q7kKSuKAL__SX355_.jpg

L.O.V.E. Machine

I Wanna Be Somebody

Lynch

This week marks the 27th anniversary of the US release of The Crimson Idol. Don't know why the rest of the world got it like 8 or 9 months earlier, but it is what it is. I still like to consider the release date as 1992.

Anyway, outstanding album!

:headbang:

1590408498127.png

Lynch

Speaking of which, I've been going through some of my thousands of CDs in recent weeks/months re-ripping music and just dusting off the old catalog.

Came across my Crimson Idol disc a couple of weeks back, made me want to cry. I have the '98 remastered release with the bonus disc. Well make that 'HAD'.

I opened it up and saw that the bonus disc is broken right in half. :cry: No clue wtf happened to it or how. The jewel case was in a protective 90-disc hard case. It's likely been like this for many years and I just never noticed it. But, it made me sad. :( Disc 1 is flawless, not a scratch on it.

Attachments