Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website

Members:

David Lee Roth
Eddie Van Halen
Micheal Anthony
Alex Van Halen

Albums: (The album title is a link to the album thread with album video)

Van Halen 1978
Van Halen II 1979
Women And Children First 1980
Fair Warning 1981
Diver Down 1982
1984 1983
5150 1986
OU812 1988
For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge 1991
Balance 1995
Van Halen III
A Different Kind Of Truth

Van Halen is an American hard rock band formed in Pasadena, California, in 1972. The band achieved success after the release of its debut album Van Halen (1978). As of 2007, Van Halen has sold 75 million albums worldwide and has had the most #1 hits on the Billboard Mainstream Rock chart. According to the Recording Industry Association of America, Van Halen is the 19th best-selling band/artist of all time with sales of over 56 million albums in the United States alone, and is one of five rock bands that have had two albums sell more than 10 million copies in the U.S. In 1996, the RIAA certified their debut album diamond for ten million in U.S. sales.

The band is also known for the drama surrounding the exits of former members. The multiple exits of lead singers David Lee Roth, Sammy Hagar and Gary Cherone were surrounded in controversy and press coverage, including numerous conflicting press statements between the former singers and the band. Following their 2004 concert tour the band was on a hiatus from the public until September 2006, when new bassist Wolfgang Van Halen's place was confirmed and Roth reunion rumors began to re-surface, both events coinciding with the band's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame induction on March 12, 2007. After years of speculation, Van Halen began a tour with Roth across North America in 2007 and into 2008. On December 26, 2011, Van Halen announced a tour for 2012, and released their first album in 14 years, A Different Kind of Truth, on February 7, 2012.

Born in Nijmegen, Netherlands, Eddie Van Halen and Alex Van Halen are the sons of musician Jan Van Halen, who arranged for them to have music lessons. The Van Halen brothers started playing music together in the 1960s when Eddie played classical piano and later drums, and Alex played the guitar. While Eddie was delivering newspapers on his paper route, Alex would sneak over and play on Eddie's drumset. Eventually Eddie found out about Alex playing his drum set and was so frustrated that he told Alex, "OK, I'll go play your guitar."

In 1972 the Van Halen brothers formed a band called "Genesis" featuring Eddie as lead vocalist/guitarist, Alex on drums, and Mark Stone on bass. They initially rented a sound system from David Lee Roth but decided to save money by letting him join as lead vocalist even though his previous audition(s) had been unsuccessful. By 1974 the band decided to replace Stone, so Michael Anthony, bassist and lead vocalist from local band "Snake" was auditioned. Following an all-night jam session, he was hired for bass and backing vocals.

The band later changed its name to Mammoth when they discovered the name "Genesis" already was being used. So in 1974 "Mammoth" officially changed its name to "Van Halen". According to Roth, this was his brainchild. He felt it was a name that had power, like Santana. They played backyard parties and on a flatbed truck at Hamilton Park. Van Halen played clubs in Pasadena and Hollywood to growing audiences, increasing their popularity through self promotion: before each gig they would pass out fliers at local high schools. This soon built them a major following. Later that year, the band got its first break when it was hired to play at Gazzarri's, a formerly famous but down-at-the-heels night club on the Sunset Strip which closed in 1996.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat Catalano

I love Van Halen. Even though there is this divide between the Roth days VS the Hagar days I look at it as a plus. I think the band grew a bit more mature with Hagar and in my humble opinion one of the best songs this band has ever written is "Right Now" along with the video it is a powerful message. Wait I didn't mention Gary Cherone :eek:

DrMaddVibe

I don't see Van Hagar as a plus. I think of it as one big HUGE mistake. EVH was neutered and the music created with Sammy is unforgettable slop that isn't worth a second listen. I have no issue with Sammy Hagar as a solo artist. I actually like his Standing Hampton album. Put him as a frontman with Van Halen??? He looks and acts like a Chihuahua trying to lead a pack of rabid Pit Bulls. It just doesn't work. The album sales with each release garnered less sales as the went forward with him. The concerts turned into shows that the promoters had to give tickets away to get people to attend!

While people like yourself gave Van Hagar props, I gave Dave's solo efforts more respect for staying true to a more Rock nature that he brought to Van Halen. Radio played only a handful of the songs and most never ever gave them a fair shot. Without David Lee Roth there is no Van Halen. He pushed them and dragged them into the fame they attained. The video you posted is everything that was wrong with Van Hagar to me. It's just pure pop crap that's right next to Bon Jovi unlistenable drivel...but hey...girls dig it.

Now, Sammy is left to promoting himself in each interview...he has to mention Eddie, or Van Halen...he tries to make it all about him and Sammy isn't Van Halen. All he was and ever will be is a thumb to the eye to David Lee Roth and the fans of Van Halen. I think even less of Ga y Halen. THAT album had absolutely no redeeming value...at all and the lineup change was a result of the entire world turning their backs at Eddie's decision. Which brings us to now. More time wasting with zero output from Van Halen. That's a shame. I think everyone doesn't want to see another greatest hits tour and they should get their collective asses back into the studio. A Different Kind Of Truth showed they're quite capable in putting out new material. I'm convinced Eddie is a sloth of a man and content to sit all by himself locked away at home. It's really a shame. With all that said, it's now time to put this thread back on track and clear out the crud with some Van Halen!

Pat Catalano

I don't see Van Hagar as a plus. I think of it as one big HUGE mistake. EVH was neutered and the music created with Sammy is unforgettable slop that isn't worth a second listen. I have no issue with Sammy Hagar as a solo artist. I actually like his Standing Hampton album. Put him as a frontman with Van Halen??? He looks and acts like a Chihuahua trying to lead a pack of rabid Pit Bulls. It just doesn't work. The album sales with each release garnered less sales as the went forward with him. The concerts turned into shows that the promoters had to give tickets away to get people to attend!

While people like yourself gave Van Hagar props, I gave Dave's solo efforts more respect for staying true to a more Rock nature that he brought to Van Halen. Radio played only a handful of the songs and most never ever gave them a fair shot. Without David Lee Roth there is no Van Halen. He pushed them and dragged them into the fame they attained. The video you posted is everything that was wrong with Van Hagar to me. It's just pure pop crap that's right next to Bon Jovi unlistenable drivel...but hey...girls dig it.

Now, Sammy is left to promoting himself in each interview...he has to mention Eddie, or Van Halen...he tries to make it all about him and Sammy isn't Van Halen. All he was and ever will be is a thumb to the eye to David Lee Roth and the fans of Van Halen. I think even less of Ga y Halen. THAT album had absolutely no redeeming value...at all and the lineup change was a result of the entire world turning their backs at Eddie's decision. Which brings us to now. More time wasting with zero output from Van Halen. That's a shame. I think everyone doesn't want to see another greatest hits tour and they should get their collective asses back into the studio. A Different Kind Of Truth showed they're quite capable in putting out new material. I'm convinced Eddie is a sloth of a man and content to sit all by himself locked away at home. It's really a shame. With all that said, it's now time to put this thread back on track and clear out the crud with some Van Halen!
I am not sure who people like myself are lol I just enjoy music. It's all subjective anyway. this is why it's awesome to have different opinions. I enjoy both Van Halen line ups and was not a fan of VH3 you enjoy the original line up. no harm in that!

Lynch

Right Now is a fantastic track! As you mentioned, it has a good message in it as well.

I used to slam on Van Hagar, especially when 5150 came out. I was not a fan at the time. But, by the time that OU812 came out, I had a change of heart. I honestly love all 4 of the Van Hagar studio albums. There is a bit more of a pop rock feel to the Van Hagar era than the first 4 VH albums, but even a deaf man could hear the pop rock feel of both Diver Down and 1984. That doesn't make them bad, but the band was already evolving before DLR exited and the Sammy picked up where he left off.

Lynch

And for the record, VH III was poop. I liked Cherone with Extreme. His vocals fit so well with Nuno's backing vocals and amazing guitar work. However, it was not a good fit in VH.

And I'm not a fan of A Different Kind of Truth either. It was an ok-at-best album. Not horrible, but I have to force myself to listen to it every so often just to remind myself why I put it back on the shelf for a couple of years at a time.