Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Suh Dude

Certainly one of the best. I'm not a big fan of non-Waters style Floyd, but it's not the worst thing. Animals remains my favorite album by them. Every track is solid.

brenluvbirds

We don't judge here,....we understand that everyone has their own opinions. I personally have found the early Floyd to be an aquired taste. It took me a long time to warm up to the second album, I still haven't completely warmed up to Piper. I really like the "Narrow Way" from Ummagumma. 'Grantchester Meadows" is one I find enjoyable as well. But most of their early stuff is a little too "out there" for me.
I used to play Grantchester Meadows for our birds! it kept the blue/gold macaw from screaming his head off and the African grey seemed to enjoy it! he peacefully ate his seed mix to it!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I remember finding a vinyl copy of Ummagumma at a neighborhood second hand store in South East Rockford back in the day. I recorded it onto cassette and shared it with my closest friends at the time, I remember everyone liking Grantchester Meadows. I still have that same vinyl copy of Ummagumma. I'm glad that your birds liked it as well Bren!

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Meddle celebrates its 50th birthday October 2021.

4052.jpg

Wikipedia
Meddle is the sixth studio album by English rock band Pink Floyd, by Harvest Records. The album was produced between the band's touring commitments, from January to August 1971 at a series of locations around London, including Abbey Road Studios and Morgan Studios.
With no material to work with and no clear idea of the album's direction, the band devised a series of novel experiments which eventually inspired the album's signature track "Echoes". Although the band's later albums would be unified by a central theme with lyrics written entirely by Roger Waters, Meddle was a group effort with lyrical contributions from each member, and is considered a transitional album between the Syd Barrett-influenced group of the late 1960s and the emerging Pink Floyd.[1] The cover has been explained by its creator Storm Thorgerson to be an ear underwater;[2] as with several previous albums designed by Hipgnosis, though, Thorgerson was unhappy with the final result.
The album was well received by critics upon its release, and was commercially successful in the United Kingdom, but lacklustre publicity on the part of the band's American label Capitol Records led to poor sales there upon initial release.
One of These Days

Fearless

I might be severely whipped for saying this, but the least ranked Floyd album on my rocklist is The Wall. No margin of comparison at all with albums like Dark side of the Moon, Piper at the Gates of Dawn, More, Atom Heart Mother, etc.
Let's face it....Syd's absence from the original band was deleterious to the subsequent quality of the band's music.
Gilmour is ok, but he lost the original psychedelic touch which was the trademark of Pink Floyd's sound. The only song I can truly appreciate on The Wall is Comfortably Numb. Period. :):)