Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Progressive Opeth

Riff_Raff

Formed - 1989
Region - Sweden
Genre - Progressive Metal/Rock/Death/Black

Official Site
Opeth Wikipedia

Current members
Studio albums

Opeth are giants in not just the progressive genre but metal as well overall. They are my fourth favourite band of all time with such a diverse discography. Early albums had more Black Metal tinges in the extreme side of their sound along with death type growls but what makes them unique is the epic melodies, time signatures and overall soundscapes that are different from album to album. From Heritage onward they would adopt a progressive rock direction that divided some fans but I honestly love all Opeth's work to date. Damnation was also very melodic with 100% cleans and that was still in their period where albums on either side had growls. My two most recommended albums are my top two favourites which are Still Life and Damnation although I'd add Deliverance as that is a companion album with Damnation. Mikael has such an awesome range vocally and is a great song-writer and guitarist. Legends in my book. I am super excited for the upcoming album, In Cauda Venenum.

White Cluster

Windowpane

River

Mr. Gregory

Opeth is one of those legendary bands that really needs no introduction and whose awesomeness I'll struggle to accurately convey in words, so I won't even try. I started listening to them not too long after I first got into metal at the end of 2011, and the rest, as they say, is history. My favorite album of theirs will probably always be the first one I listened to, Blackwater Park, but they're pretty much all excellent.

Bleak (from Blackwater Park)

Blackwater Park (title track from that album)

Ghost of Perdition (from Ghost Reveries)

Heir Apparent (from Watershed)

Cusp of Eternity (from Pale Communion)

Will O The Wisp (from Sorceress)