Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symphonic Nightwish

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: http://nightwish.com/en

Current Members:

Albums:

Nightwish is a Symphonic / Power Metal band from Finland. Their music is very complex, melodic, and gothic at times. The female vocals are soaring and operatic. The musical themes are usually about fantasy and mythology.

Nightwish has had 3 female vocalists since their formation; Tarja Turunen, Anette Olzon, and Floor Jansen. Tarja happens to be my favorite of the three, but I still like what the band has done since her departure.

My favorite album is Once, which was Tarja's last album with the band and contained the song "Nemo", which charted highly throughout the world. Once also used the London Philharmonic orchestra and a Choir for backing vocals. It is a stunning album.

Nemo

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

Yeah, they're definitely a band that needs no introduction whatsoever. I'm glad you made this thread, Magic. I wouldn't even have known where to begin. Ha ha.

I like all three of the female singers they've had, but I'm a little biased towards Floor because I like ReVamp and After Forever, the two bands that she was in before she joined Nightwish. In general, I prefer everything they've done from Once onwards. I feel like a lot of people's favorite album of theirs is Oceanborn, but I found it and most of their other earlier stuff to be a bit too clunky sounding.

My favorite albums of theirs are Endless Forms Most Beautiful (which I thought was an absolute masterpiece), Once (which is almost equally good), and I guess Dark Passion Play, in that order. My two favorite songs of theirs are The Greatest Show on Earth, the epic 20+ minute closer from Endless Forms Most Beautiful, and Ghost Love Score from Once.

NOTE: This is a fanmade video, not an official one.

Here's an official live video of Ghost Love Score, with Floor doing the vocals.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Mr. Gregory Endless Forms Most Beautiful is a masterpiece. If I were to rank Nightwish albums, that would come in at #2 and Dark Passion Play #3.

But I just love Tarja's voice. I like her solo material just as much.

Mr. Gregory

Anette isn't getting enough love in this thread. I haven't listened to Imaginaerum for a while, because when I want to hear Anette, I almost always go to Dark Passion Play instead, but I've always liked this track.

Here's a good mellow track from Dark Passion Play.

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
5e3c56c1fd39916cd2175fcf_cover_FINAL_small.jpg

HUMAN. :II: NATURE. will be released on 10th April 2020. The long-awaited record, following 2015’s critically-acclaimed “Endless Forms Most Beautiful”, will be a double album containing 9 tracks on the main CD and one long track, divided into eight chapters on CD 2.The tracklisting will read as follows:

Disc 1:
01. Music
02. Noise
03. Shoemaker
04. Harvest
05. Pan
06. How's The Heart?
07. Procession
08. Tribal
09. Endlessness

Disc 2:

01. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Vista
02. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - The Blue
03. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - The Green
04. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Moors
05. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Aurorae
06. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Quiet As The Snow
07. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Anthropocene (incl. "Hurrian Hymn To Nikkal")
08. All The Works Of Nature Which Adorn The World - Ad Astra