Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Black Metal Myrkur

Mr. Gregory

0010659051_10-640x441.jpg

Official Website

Albums:
Amalie Bruun, aka Myrkur, started this one-woman musical project a few years ago. In addition to the four aforementioned full length albums, she did a self-titled EP in 2014 and a live album, Mausoleum, in 2016. This stuff is classified as black metal but doesn't fit neatly into a single genre IMO. There's a definite folk/traditional and a bit of a gothic vibe here too. Classify it however you want - I dig it, and I love this woman. She does both beautiful, angelic clean vocals and harsh growled vocals. It's really good stuff.

Garm from Ulver and Borknagar was the producer on M. If you're familiar with early Ulver at all, you'll definitely recognize his influence here:

This is the second track off of Mareridt. It's much harder than Crown, which I posted in another thread. It has a mixture of screams/growls and clean singing.

I particularly love her softer songs. This is a live version of the closer from Mareridt.

Last edited:

Mr. Gregory

This woman is pretty much my go-to for car rides to and from work, and particularly when I'm having trouble deciding what to listen to. Her music just works perfectly for me, no matter what mood I'm in.

These are both softer songs:

Nordlys (from M)

De Tre Piker (from Mareridt)

Here are two (somewhat) harder songs:

Ulvinde (from Mareridt)

Funeral (feat. Chelsea Wolfe - from Mareridt)

Mr. Gregory

Looks like my girl's got a new EP, Juniper, coming out on December 7th. There will only be two songs on it, the title track and Bonden og Kragen, a Danish folk song. The title track is already available, and needless to say, I've purchased it. It's pretty good, and she looks absolutely adorable in the video!

Mr. Gregory

I absolutely cannot wait to hear Myrkur's newest album, Folkesange, which comes out this Friday. As the title suggests, it's going to be nothing but traditional-sounding folk music. I didn't have an Album of the Year last year because there were way too many good ones to choose from, but this is definitely going to be an early contender for that title for me for this year based on these three singles alone.

Mr. Gregory

Myrkur has a new album out, Spine, which details her experiences/feelings about childbirth and motherhood (she had a son a few years ago). I'll definitely have to give it a full listen, but I like what I've heard so far. It sounds like she went with somewhat of a combination of her old and new sounds for this. I definitely like these three singles.

Like Humans (from Spine)

Mothlike (from Spine)

Spine (title track)