Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper

Official Website

The Jimi Hendrix Experience
Jimi Hendrix/Band of Gypsys
Posthumous albums
Arguably the most influential musician of all times. Was he metal? Not really. Was he Rock? Maybe. He was out there in his own little genre. He made that Stratocaster do things that I think scared the hell out of Leo Fender. Had he lived I've always wondered what musical direction or directions he would have taken.

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Nice write up!

Jimi may not be metal, but one thing is for certain, he was the hardest rocker in the world from 1966 to 1970. He deserves a place of honor here at HRF!

Last edited:

DrMaddVibe

Had he lived I've always wondered what musical direction or directions he would have taken.

He was heading the same way his mentor John McLaughlin was heading.

http://jma.darwinmonkey.com/jmarc5liv/jmjh.html

There was seminal talk about forming a super group with Miles Davis and Paul McCartney (post Beatles)...he did send a telegram so he had Miles in the pocket.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...iles-Davis-recording-1969-missed-holiday.html

This is rare because of the acoustic guitar. TOTAL Robert Johnson reincarnate and where Jimi favored his Blues roots, yet...this posthumous recording showed where he was launching to...

He was looking to sharpen Iron with Iron. John was probably the ONLY guitarist that could keep up with Jimi. In the comments section of this video, I LOVE the comment "Shame Jimi never lived to hear John's Mahavishnu Orchestra record their second album 'Birds Of Fire' at Electric Lady in 1972. He would have shit himself."

When you hear the pocket and where each pop in and out...that's cutting bleeding edge brilliance! It's a shame Jimi didn't get a chance to do everything he wanted to share with us.

Another one of those deep cuts that I keep telling everyone I'm attracted to!

and another!

Last edited:

brenluvbirds

visited Jimi's memorial in Renton, WA last Tuesday. He was originally named Johnny Allen Hendrix but his father changed his name to James. Imagine, we could have been crooning and air guitaring along to the music of Johnny Hendrix instead!

Attachments

brenluvbirds

Never been to Jimi's Memorial site, there's a lot of vibe and mojo there I'm guessing.
no one was there when I arrived then about 5 people showed up to take photographs! I had my phone with me so I played "Castles Made of Sand" while I was walking towards it. there is a guest book for people to sign and when it's full the funeral home gives it to the family. Jimi still has relatives living in that area.

brenluvbirds

@brenluvbirds very cool pictures!

I have never been to his grave site, either. Did you get that vibe that his presence was there?
hmm, well, I may have. I don't seem to be susceptible to that. I just know that he's everywhere now. like when my friend died. I didn't feel him when I went to their house (his family lived next door to me until a year ago) but I know he's always gonna be with me no matter where I am. I think it's a dirty rotten shame that Jimi died so young. He'd be in his 70's if he were alive and still rockin'! Look at Chuck Berry who died last year, at 90!