Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

…and Justice for All (1988)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
4.50 star(s) Rating: 4.50/5 2 Votes
Title: …and Justice for All
Artist: Metallica
Genre: Thrash Metal
Released: 1988

Tracks:
1 - Blackened - 6:43
2 - …and Justice for All - 9:45
3 - Eye of the Beholder - 6:25
4 - One - 7:26
5 - The Shortest Straw - 6:35
6 - Harvester of Sorrow - 5:45
7 - The Frayed Ends of Sanity - 7:44
8 - To Live Is to Die - 9:48
9 - Dyers Eve - 5:14

Overview:
...And Justice for All is the fourth studio album by the American heavy metal band Metallica. The album was released on August 25, 1988 through Elektra Records. It was the group's first full studio album to feature bassist Jason Newsted, following the death of Cliff Burton in 1986. Newsted had previously appeared on the Metallica E.P. The $5.98 E.P.: Garage Days Re-Revisited, which was his first recorded work with Metallica. ...And Justice for All was certified 8x platinum by the RIAA on June 9, 2003.
The front cover depicts the statue of Lady Justice cracked, bound by ropes, her breasts exposed, and both of her scales filled with dollars. The words "…And Justice for All" are written in graffiti-like lettering to the right. The cover art was created by Stephen Gorman, based on a concept developed by James Hetfield and Lars Ulrich. ...And Justice for All was Metallica's final collaboration with longtime producer Flemming Rasmussen. The album was initially released on one vinyl disc, but soon after re-released (without additional tracks) as a double-album.

Lynch

I have often referred to this album with an ultimate sense of grandeurism. While I usually call Black Sabbath - Paranoid the original "heavy metal bible", I've referred to Justice as "the second coming of the heavy metal bible". When the album came out, I was blown away. For everything that I loved on the band's first 3 albums, this is the one that grabbed me like no other and it held my attention above everything both before it and after it for many, many years.

I realize that there are sound/engineering shortcomings with this album (ie: Newstead's bass being almost turned waaaay too low and done on purpose as a prank by Lars and James). But that doesn't take away from the songwriting or the feel of this album.

I'm not sure if I could ever truly choose my #1 favorite track on this album

:headbang:

Great album. Nobody can ever replace Cliff but Newsted did a hell of a job and I'm a fan of his. Wish Newsted was still with the band but understand why he left. Still hopeful for a reunion. Just not a fan of Metallica since he left.

Lynch

I can agree with that. I mean, Robert does a good job, but something about his playing and his on stage presence that doesn't "feel" like he belongs in Metallica. I liked Newstead's playing as well as his vocals, which fit as a good compliment or even at times a replacement for James on some live tracks.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB