Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Would you listen to hard rock/heavy metal music without drums?

I've written probably near an album's worth of songs on guitar, but I have no band, I'm only a bedroom musician at the moment. But that got me thinking. Just how necessary are drums, actually? I've always cared more for melody and harmony anyway, and you don't hear drums in synth music or orchestral/symphonic stuff or the countless video game and movie soundtracks over the years that have inspired me. So just how necessary are drums to the sound, anyway? Would you listen to hard rock/heavy metal music if it had no drums?

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Duh ?????? !!!!!! What ???!!! N.E.V.E.R. :)
you’re gonna eat your words, my friend! I will bet my Cadillac Escalade you have listened to this dozens of times…….

Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine. Voila! No drums :bk:

and yet another….only bongo drums…..maybe qualifies:dunno:

Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

honestly Queen - We Will Rock You doesn’t “officially” have any drums :cool:

@Holiday in Metallica absolutely I would listen to songs without any backing drum tracks..

you’re gonna eat your words, my friend! I will bet my Cadillac Escalade you have listened to this dozens of times…….

Pink Floyd - Welcome to the Machine. Voila! No drums :bk:

and yet another….only bongo drums…..maybe qualifies:dunno:

Black Sabbath - Planet Caravan

honestly Queen - We Will Rock You doesn’t “officially” have any drums :cool:

@Holiday in Metallica absolutely I would listen to songs without any backing drum tracks..
Planet Caravan's got drums, even if they're unusual I suppose. (Not that unusual for hippie 60s music which this was inspired by).

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Planet Caravan's got drums, even if they're unusual I suppose. (Not that unusual for hippie 60s music which this was inspired by).
agreed! 60s hippie inspired music, psychedelic, is one of my favs. However, most music with bongos is Cuban & Latin jazz or possibly funk & Rhythm n blues.

When I think of rock that has predominant bongos the first that pops into my mind is

Sympathy for the Devil - Rolling Stones