Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wishbone Ash

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: Wishbone Ash

Members:

Martin Turner
Ted Turner
Andy Powell
Steve Upton

Albums:

Wishbone Ash (1970)
Pilgramage (1971)
Argus (1972)
Wishbone 4 (1973)
There's The Rub (1974)
New England (1976)
Locked In (1976)
Front Page News (1977)
No Smoke Without Fire (1978)
Just Testing (1980)
Number The Brave (1981)
Twin Barrels Burning (1982)
Raw To the Bone (1985)
Nouveau Calls (1987)
Here To Hear (1989)
Strange Affair (1991)
Illuminations (1996)
Trance Visionary (1998)
Psychic Terrorism (1998)
Bare Bones (1999)
Bona Fide (2002)
Clan Destiny (2006)
The Power of Eternity (2007)
Elegant Stealth (2011)
Blue Horizon (2014)

Wishbone Ash are a British rock band which achieved success in the early and mid-1970s. Their popular records included Wishbone Ash (1970), Argus (1972), There's the Rub (1974), and New England (1976). They were one of the first bands to use twin lead guitars.
Wishbone Ash are considered to be one of the major innovators of the harmony twin lead guitar format. Their contributions helped Andy Powell and Ted Turner to be voted "Two of the Ten Most Important Guitarists in Rock History" (Traffic magazine 1989), and to appear in the "Top 20 Guitarists Of All Time" (Rolling Stone). Melody Maker (1972) described Powell and Turner as "the most interesting two guitar team since the days when Beck and Page graced The Yardbirds".
Formed in Torquay, Devon, in 1969, out of the ashes of trio The Empty Vessels (originally known as The Torinoes, later briefly being renamed Tanglewood in 1969), which had been formed by Wishbone Ash's founding member Martin Turner (bass & vocals) in 1963 and complemented by Steve Upton (drums and percussion) in 1966. The original Wishbone Ash line-up was completed by guitarists/vocalists Andy Powell and Ted Turner. In 1974, Ted Turner left the band, and was replaced by Laurie Wisefield. The band continued on with strong critical and commercial success until 1980.
After revolving line-ups featuring former members from King Crimson, Trapeze, and Uriah Heep, Wisefield left in 1985. In 1987, however, the original line-up reunited for several albums - Nouveau Calls, Here to Hear and Strange Affair - until 1990, when Upton quit the band. After Martin Turner was replaced in 1991, the band recorded The Ash Live in Chicago, before Ted Turner left in 1993.

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
That's one of only two songs by them that I've ever heard on the radio. I've always wondered why the radio excluded so much great music, I'll bet it has something to with corruption, in the form of payola (paying radio station DJs to play certain bands and artists over others).

By the way, I think the entire Argus album is brilliant.

brenluvbirds

I don't think I've ever heard it on the radio, I grew up on WLS which was AM. did you listen to Y95? they probably played it huh? I did switch to WIBA out of Madison which was FM and heard Rush, BOC, Scorpions, etc. in about 1982. I had heard of the band Wishbone Ash, my brother may have liked them, but actually did not know their music.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I'm trying to think of which station used to play them occasionally, I think it was 104.9 WQFL. Before they went modern hard rock, they would occasionally play "Blowin' Free" and "The King Will Come".

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
hmm... where was that station from? I seem to think that was WIBA's call numbers...
Rockford, IL. WIBA's (Madison WI) call #s are 101.5. There is another station with call #s similar to 104.9, that would be the Hog, 105.9. They broadcast out of Evensville, WI, and serve the Janesville/Madison area. I can pick up the Hog much clearer than WIBA.

brenluvbirds

Rockford, IL. WIBA's (Madison WI) call #s are 101.5. There is another station with call #s similar to 104.9, that would be the Hog, 105.9. They broadcast out of Evensville, WI, and serve the Janesville/Madison area. I can pick up the Hog much clearer than WIBA.
oh you know where I got that from?? :unsure:
104.1 The Hawk, from modesto, CA. I guess my old brain is thinking it was WIBA!

Last edited by a moderator: