Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Poll Who Has Played With The Better Guitarists???

Go!

• Ozzy Osbourne

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • David Lee Roth

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • David Bowie

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • Other...Please List Artist and Guitarists

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

DrMaddVibe

Ozzy Osbourne - Tommy Iommi, Randy Rhodes, Jake E. Lee, Zakk Wylde, Jerry Cantrell, Gus G

David Lee Roth - Eddie Van Halen, Steve Vai, Jason Becker, Steve Hunter, Joe Holmes, Terry Kilgore, Steve Hunter, John 5, Mike Hartman, John Lowery, Bart Walsh, Brian Young, Toshi Hiketa

David Bowie - Big Jim Sullivan, Tim Renwick, Mick Ronson, Carlos Alomar, Earl Slick, Adrian Belew, Robert Fripp, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Peter Frampton, Sid McGinnis, Nile Rodgers, Reeves Gabriel, David Torn, Gerry Leonard, Ben Monder

Other - Please List Artist and Guitarists

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
From your list, I am going with Ozzy. Ozzy has always had a knack for having excellent talent behind his music. Plus the fact Randy Rhoades is one of my favorite guitarists....same can be said of Zakk Wylde, Jake E. Lee, Iommi, and Gus G.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
y'all can laugh at me if you want, but Michael Jackson always had outstanding guitarists....

David Williams....who is responsible for Thriller and Billie Jean.
Eddie Van Halen....who is responsible for Beat It. yep, THAT Eddie Van Halen!!!!
Steve Stevens...who is responsible for Dirty Diana (my fave song of MJ)
Jennifer Batten...who toured with MJ for over 10 years. She was also a favorite guitarist of Les Paul.

Slash...who is responsible for the awesome solo's in Give In To Me (another really good MJ song) and some killer live performaces of Black or White.
Carlos Santana.....who is responsible for Whatever Happens, which is in that laid back Latin Santana style.
Phil Upchurch....A highly sought after sessions guitarist (BB King, Curtis Mayfield, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Cat Stevens) who is responsible for MJ's bluesy grooves and the Off The Wall Album.
Larry Carlton...another highly sought after sessions guitarist (Steely Dan...think Kid Charlemagne, Joni Mitchell, Christopher Cross, 5th Dimension, and made the theme to Hill Street Blues)

Michael and Quincy Jones always managed to hire the BEST sessions guitarists for all his albums.

Lynch

An argument can easily be made for David Coverdale:

Ritchie Blackmore
Tommy Bolin
Micky Moody
Bernie Mardsen
John Syckes
Adrian Vanenberg
Vivian Campbell
Steve Vai
Jimmy Page
Warren DiMartini
Doug Aldrich
Reb Beach
Joel Hoekstra

From the list, I'd have to really think about either Ozzy or DLR. To me, Bowie's list of guitarists doesn't even come close to belonging on the list. Not to say the guitarists he worked with sucked, but other than SRV (who was vastly underutilized in his time with Bowie), the rest of those guys are pretty "meh" compared to the likes of Iommi, Rhodes, EVH, Vai, Lee, Wylde, etc

DrMaddVibe

y'all can laugh at me if you want, but Michael Jackson always had outstanding guitarists....

David Williams....who is responsible for Thriller and Billie Jean.
Eddie Van Halen....who is responsible for Beat It. yep, THAT Eddie Van Halen!!!!
Steve Stevens...who is responsible for Dirty Diana (my fave song of MJ)
Jennifer Batten...who toured with MJ for over 10 years. She was also a favorite guitarist of Les Paul.

Slash...who is responsible for the awesome solo's in Give In To Me (another really good MJ song) and some killer live performaces of Black or White.
Carlos Santana.....who is responsible for Whatever Happens, which is in that laid back Latin Santana style.
Phil Upchurch....A highly sought after sessions guitarist (BB King, Curtis Mayfield, Howlin Wolf, Muddy Waters, Cat Stevens) who is responsible for MJ's bluesy grooves and the Off The Wall Album.
Larry Carlton...another highly sought after sessions guitarist (Steely Dan...think Kid Charlemagne, Joni Mitchell, Christopher Cross, 5th Dimension, and made the theme to Hill Street Blues)

Michael and Quincy Jones always managed to hire the BEST sessions guitarists for all his albums.
I left some guitarists off the lists that only played on a single track or were backing playing rhythm. John Lennon, Pete Townshend played with Bowie!

DrMaddVibe

An argument can easily be made for David Coverdale:

Ritchie Blackmore
Tommy Bolin
Micky Moody
Bernie Mardsen
John Syckes
Adrian Vanenberg
Vivian Campbell
Steve Vai
Jimmy Page
Warren DiMartini
Doug Aldrich
Reb Beach
Joel Hoekstra

From the list, I'd have to really think about either Ozzy or DLR. To me, Bowie's list of guitarists doesn't even come close to belonging on the list. Not to say the guitarists he worked with sucked, but other than SRV (who was vastly underutilized in his time with Bowie), the rest of those guys are pretty "meh" compared to the likes of Iommi, Rhodes, EVH, Vai, Lee, Wylde, etc
I ALMOST included Ronnie James Dio in the poll!

Lynch

Graham Bonnet also has/had an impressive list of guitarists that he's worked with over the years (not an all-inclusive list, just the ones I remember):

Ritchie Blackmore
Michael Schenker
Yngwie Malmsteen
Steve Vai
Chris Impelliteri
Bob Kulick
Micky Moody
Russ Ballard

Lynch

I ALMOST included Ronnie James Dio in the poll!
Also a fine example of a guy that has worked with a string of amazing guitarists:

Ronnie James Dio's list of well known / famous guitarists:

Ritchie Blackmore
Tony Iommi
Vivian Campbell
Craig Goldy
Rowan Robertson
Tracy G
Doug Aldrich

Not to mention working with a string of other guitarists in one-off "various artists" compilations, including Yngwie Malmsteen, Uli Jon Roth, Eddie Ojeda, Kerry Livgren, and not to mention that entire cast of the Hear'n'Aid sessions.