Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What are you listening to, heavy metal version ?

Mr. Gregory

Slayer immediately appealed to me from day 1 - Tom Araya is the greatest of his genre ! After Slayer, I'd say my next best band is surely Testament ....the vocals on their albums was spawned in Hades, I swear !!? :):)
I tried Slayer out back when I was still doing the black metal thing but started getting more into the more thrashy first wave black metal. Bathory was my favorite of those bands, and I never really got into Slayer beyond Show No Mercy. That album was really good, though.

In hindsight, listening to them was probably one of the reasons why I started to mellow out musically. I considered their brand of "evil" to generally be more cartoonish and over-the-top than a lot of the second wave black metal bands that I had started out listening to. These days, the only one of those second wave bands that I can still sit down and listen to is Immortal.

Mr. Gregory

I've spent the last few days going through Sylvaine's full album discography. She's pretty much what you would get if Myrkur and Alcest had a baby. I like her. :giggle:

This song is from her newest album, Nova, which I keep coming back to. It's probably my favorite one from that album so far. She's nekkid on the album cover (tastefully so IMO, but still), so rather than post the embedded video with the album art here, I figured I'd just leave a link.

Sylvaine - I Close My Eyes so I Can See

I've spent the last few days going through Sylvaine's full album discography. She's pretty much what you would get if Myrkur and Alcest had a baby. I like her. :giggle:

This song is from her newest album, Nova, which I keep coming back to. It's probably my favorite one from that album so far. She's nekkid on the album cover (tastefully so IMO, but still), so rather than post the embedded video with the album art here, I figured I'd just leave a link.

Sylvaine - I Close My Eyes so I Can See
You opened a while new HM horizon for me mate !! Didn't know this act. I'll check her out and hope to be pleasantly entangled in the music......and eye candy :):) . Thx for sharing.

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Listened to her song above.....I gotta hand it to ya man . .you have good taste in music. Love it ....now you've got me looking for her albums , you have !!!
I'm not complaining though :):).
Now we know where Momsen got her artwork idea from (or is the other way round ?! :)).

Mr. Gregory

∆∆∆∆∆∆∆ Listened to her song above.....I gotta hand it to ya man . .you have good taste in music. Love it ....now you've got me looking for her albums , you have !!!
I'm not complaining though :):).
Now we know where Momsen got her artwork idea from (or is the other way round ?! :)).
Thanks, dude. Spotify recommended her to me. I was like "ooh, shoegaze Myrkur!"

As they told me in my Wrapped end of the year review/recap, I tend to be pretty selective with the artists/groups I listen to, but once I decide that I like an artist/group, I'm all in. Welcome to the fold, Sylvaine. :giggle:

Her two most recent albums, Nova and Atoms Aligned, Coming Undone, are my current favorites of hers. These two songs, Abeyance and Severance, are from Atoms Aligned, Coming Undone.

Mr. Gregory

What do you think of Wistful Mr Gregory ? So the band's from Norway ??

From what I understand, she's a one-woman show. Not sure about her touring bandmates, but she's half-American, half-Norwegian. She was born in San Diego and currently lives in either Norway or France.

None of her albums are bad, but if I had to choose, her two most recent albums are my favorites.