Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Van Canto (Accapella Metal)

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Been listening to this band for a while. the only instrument they use is a drum set, everything else is done by voice. I have found it to be strangely intriguing to say the least.

Van Canto is a German a cappella metal band, founded in 2006 and composed of six singers and a drummer. Although the group is often classified as an a cappella ensemble, they use real drums in their music, instead of vocal percussion or beatboxing.

Van Canto play a cappella with classic heavy, power and symphonic metal influence, creating what they call "hero metal a cappella". While only two of the five singers perform the lead vocals, the other three instead use their voices to imitate the guitars and the bass, with the help of amplifiers, in an attempt to sound closer to the original instruments

Van Canto

Band members
Current
  • Inga Scharf – female lead vocals (2006–present)
  • Ross Thompson – higher guitar vocals (2006–present)
  • Stefan Schmidt – lower guitar vocals, solo guitar vocals, vocals with distortion effects (2006–present)
  • Ingo "Ike" Sterzinger – bass vocals (full time member: 2006–2015, studio and selected concerts: 2017-present)
  • Bastian Emig – drums (2007–present)
  • Jan Moritz – bass vocals (2015–present)
  • Hagen "Hagel" Hirschmann – male lead vocals (2017–present)
Past
  • Dennis "Sly" Schunke – male lead vocals (2006–2017)
  • Dennis Strillinger – drums (2006–2007
Discography

. A Storm To Come (2006)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I was introduced to Van Canto back in 2009. I thought they were definitely different.

The 2016 album, Voices of Fire, is a really good album.

Bardcall