Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Meat Puppets

DrMaddVibe

Official Website: The Meat Puppets

Meat Puppets is an American rock band formed in January 1980 in Phoenix, Arizona. The group's original lineup was Curt Kirkwood (guitar/vocals), his brother Cris Kirkwood (bass guitar/vocals), and Derrick Bostrom (drums). The Kirkwood brothers met Bostrom while attending Brophy Prep High School in Phoenix. The three then moved to Tempe, Arizona (a Phoenix suburb and home to Arizona State University), where the Kirkwood brothers purchased two adjacent homes, one of which had a shed in the back where they regularly practiced.

Meat Puppets started as a punk rock band, but like most of their labelmates on SST Records, they established their own unique style, blending punk with countryand psychedelic rock, and featuring Curt's warbling vocals. Meat Puppets later gained significant exposure when the Kirkwood brothers served as guest musicians on Nirvana's MTV Unplugged performance in 1993. The band's 1994 album Too High to Die subsequently became their most successful release. The band broke up twice, in 1996 and 2002, but reunited again in 2006.

Meat Puppets has influenced a number of rock bands including Nirvana,[1] Soundgarden,[2] Dinosaur Jr,[3] Sebadoh [2] and Pavement.[4]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meat_Puppets

A lot of people want to forget that "someone" influenced bands like Nirvana...they even recorded their music! It's my lot in life to see and like the ones that did the influencing and never forget where it came from or the lines that connect them.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I have to say @DrMaddVibe I had never listened to this band until today. The videos you posted are good.

I was skipping through the albums, one by one, as I was posting the Discography. Some of the stuff, is very trippy. Some made my ears bleed....and was just noisy (the first 2 albums mainly).

This is a band I would like to go through their albums in their entirety, one by one, and give an opinion.