Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The end of writing ?

I am more concerned with the failing education system and the proliferation of social media sites which promote, even enforce kneejerk reactions over longer, more reflective thoughts.

Sure, a.i. can follow grammar rules decently enough. But a.i. only "create" based upon what their data set says is statistically most likely to be there. In other words, they rely on humans for the illusion of creativity and cannot really think.

The way things have been going the past decade, common sense increasingly looks like an uncommon virtue. The internet can paint a rather depressing view of humanity.

I wish the web were more like the way it was in the 00s. When everyone had their own website as their personal digital space, rather than a social media on some corporate, data-hoarding platform. Forums like this as a primary form of social discourse are far from perfect, but are generally a superior method of connecting, in my view. The irony is, I remember when the web was heralded as a tool to democratize free ideas and expression, because suddenly anyone and everyone had the same communication privileges usually reserved for journalists, novelists, celebrities, and the media. Yet today, the vast majority of those voices are drowned out in the maelstrom of din. And who are the only voices that search algorithms promote? The journalists, the media, the politicians and pundits, the celebrities. Or worse, the "influencers," who have no pretense even of qualifications yet wield a significant power over flow of information. We are back at square one like the days when you could only get news from a handful of cable networks, only without the necessity those networks had to promote centrist narratives appealing to all viewers. The handful of media organizations around today are more extreme in their bias or even deception (Fox News v Dominion is an obvious example.)

I am more concerned with the failing education system and the proliferation of social media sites which promote, even enforce kneejerk reactions over longer, more reflective thoughts.

Sure, a.i. can follow grammar rules decently enough. But a.i. only "create" based upon what their data set says is statistically most likely to be there. In other words, they rely on humans for the illusion of creativity and cannot really think.

The way things have been going the past decade, common sense increasingly looks like an uncommon virtue. The internet can paint a rather depressing view of humanity.

I wish the web were more like the way it was in the 00s. When everyone had their own website as their personal digital space, rather than a social media on some corporate, data-hoarding platform. Forums like this as a primary form of social discourse are far from perfect, but are generally a superior method of connecting, in my view. The irony is, I remember when the web was heralded as a tool to democratize free ideas and expression, because suddenly anyone and everyone had the same communication privileges usually reserved for journalists, novelists, celebrities, and the media. Yet today, the vast majority of those voices are drowned out in the maelstrom of din. And who are the only voices that search algorithms promote? The journalists, the media, the politicians and pundits, the celebrities. Or worse, the "influencers," who have no pretense even of qualifications yet wield a significant power over flow of information. We are back at square one like the days when you could only get news from a handful of cable networks, only without the necessity those networks had to promote centrist narratives appealing to all viewers. The handful of media organizations around today are more extreme in their bias or even deception (Fox News v Dominion is an obvious example.)
Of course, what you're saying is true.....indeed, I was reading that generation Z (millennials) are having a very hard time with oral communication skills and any other communication skill actually !! If people cannot decently communicate anymore, it's the end for us all ! Just look at forums .....this one we're on is ok, but there are some out there that gather posters who simply cannot master the art of debating, for instance. They just bring on their opinions and stick to them without even reading other people's ideas ...and when they are faced with someone else's idea, they go haywire and start to become arrogant, violent and biased !!! What a world we're gonna hand down to Keith Richards !! Hahahahaha 🤣😂🤣😂😂

Of course, what you're saying is true.....indeed, I was reading that generation Z (millennials) are having a very hard time with oral communication skills and any other communication skill actually !! If people cannot decently communicate anymore, it's the end for us all ! Just look at forums .....this one we're on is ok, but there are some out there that gather posters who simply cannot master the art of debating, for instance. They just bring on their opinions and stick to them without even reading other people's ideas ...and when they are faced with someone else's idea, they go haywire and start to become arrogant, violent and biased !!! What a world we're gonna hand down to Keith Richards !! Hahahahaha 🤣😂🤣😂😂
Firstly, millennials and Gen Z are not the same thing. Millennials were born in 1980 to about 1995/1996. Gen Z I believe is 1997-2007. Secondly, I always find it distasteful when people over-generalize an entire generation, and almost always pejoratively so. Boomers and X'ers say, "F'kin Millennials," and Gen Z replies in kind, "Ok, Boomer." Both equally send a shiver of disgust down my spine. It's absurd to classify all members of an age group together, just as it would be to classify all members of an ethnicity or gender with some overarching stereotypes.

The internet, and talk show hosts before it, have a predilection too for cherry picking the worst examples of stupidity and displaying them, because the most outrageous examples are likely to be most controversial and evoke a response from the viewer. The social media algorithms are practically built to seek out and promote the most controversial, emotionally-provocative material. That's why the infamous "clickbait face" is everywhere. You know what it looks like: the intentionally over-the-top, exaggerated facial expressions. I suppose for most people it gets people to click, but I just cringe and go elsewhere. If you have to resort to such tactics, you're not worth my time.

Firstly, millennials and Gen Z are not the same thing. Millennials were born in 1980 to about 1995/1996. Gen Z I believe is 1997-2007. Secondly, I always find it distasteful when people over-generalize an entire generation, and almost always pejoratively so. Boomers and X'ers say, "F'kin Millennials," and Gen Z replies in kind, "Ok, Boomer." Both equally send a shiver of disgust down my spine. It's absurd to classify all members of an age group together, just as it would be to classify all members of an ethnicity or gender with some overarching stereotypes.

The internet, and talk show hosts before it, have a predilection too for cherry picking the worst examples of stupidity and displaying them, because the most outrageous examples are likely to be most controversial and evoke a response from the viewer. The social media algorithms are practically built to seek out and promote the most controversial, emotionally-provocative material. That's why the infamous "clickbait face" is everywhere. You know what it looks like: the intentionally over-the-top, exaggerated facial expressions. I suppose for most people it gets people to click, but I just cringe and go elsewhere. If you have to resort to such tactics, you're not worth my time.
Hey, what's in a generation. It's just terminology and convenience.....nobody's trying to use bias against anybody here. Cool off !!! Having said this, I'd go elsewhere too in reference to what you said above. Let's stick to communication PLS.