Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tesla

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

Official Website: Tesla

Current Members:
  • Brian Wheat
  • Frank Hannon
  • Jeff Keith
  • Troy Luccketta
  • Dave Rude

One of my favorite bands of the 80's and 90's. The band started out as City Kidd with a glam derived sound but in 1986 they changed their name and sound. They disbanded in 1996 and have since reformed in 2000 and put out 3 albums, with another album due out this fall (2018).

Studio Albums:
  • Mechanical Resonance (1986)
  • The Great Radio Controversy (1989)
  • Psychotic Supper (1991)
  • Bust A Nut (1994)
  • Into The Now (2004)
  • Forever More (2008)
  • Simplicity (2014)
  • Shock (2019)

Lynch

Absolutely one of my all-time favorite bands. There's not one bad song or bad note on their first 3 studio albums and their live set on 5 Man Acoustic Jam is top notch (I also consider that to be the true-blue start of the 'unplugged era', even though MTV will say it was Bon Jovi).

Lynch

I like this band a lot, I only have one CD of theirs, "The Great Radio Controversy", but I do plan to get a few more.
If you like that, you owe it to yourself to get Mechanical Resonance (1986) and Psychotic Supper (1991). Both albums are fantastic from start to finish.

I first heard Mechanical when I was in high school and I was instantly a fan. A couple of years later, I saw them open up for Def Leppard on their Hysteria tour and they were not only a great studio band but also a great live band. I also saw them on the Great Radio tour with Great White opening up. Again, they were top notch through the entire show. They unfairly get lumped into a 'hair metal' category and they are no more hair metal than Guns n Roses is. Straight up, in your face rock. Both their rockin' tunes as well as their ballads they always gave it their all, in studio and on stage.

Trust me, if you like The Great Radio Controversy, you'll like the albums that came before it and after it.

Such a good band. Was a really big fan. Glad to see they will be releasing an album this year! I still play Modern Day Cowboy often and have alot of Tesla on my playlists.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
817TVdibZAL__SY355_.jpg

01. You Won’t Take Me Alive
02. Taste Like
03. We Can Rule The World
04. Shock
05. Love Is A Fire
06. California Summer Song
07. Forever Loving You
08. The Mission
09. Tied To The Tracks
10. Afterlife
11. I Want Everything
12. Comfort Zone

I have given this album a fair listen. I was not overly impressed. It comes across to me as an over produced "Pop Rock" album. Of course, I chalk that up to the producer's influence, Phil Collen (producer for Def Leppard). Shock has a much softer tone than the albums of the past, in fact, the album has way too many slow tempo songs. On the good side, Jeff's voice is still strong and he sounds great. Tied to the Tracks is a decent rocking song, but it sounds like it is being held back, it lacks that guitar punch. The two stand out tracks for me............

Shock

The Mission

I'll give the album a 3 out of 5. Sorry, guys, it's just an average album for it's genre.

joker1961

My favorite album Psychotic Supper

Change in the Weather

Toke About It
View attachment 734

01. You Won’t Take Me Alive
02. Taste Like
03. We Can Rule The World
04. Shock
05. Love Is A Fire
06. California Summer Song
07. Forever Loving You
08. The Mission
09. Tied To The Tracks
10. Afterlife
11. I Want Everything
12. Comfort Zone

I have given this album a fair listen. I was not overly impressed. It comes across to me as an over produced "Pop Rock" album. Of course, I chalk that up to the producer's influence, Phil Collen (producer for Def Leppard). Shock has a much softer tone than the albums of the past, in fact, the album has way too many slow tempo songs. On the good side, Jeff's voice is still strong and he sounds great. Tied to the Tracks is a decent rocking song, but it sounds like it is being held back, it lacks that guitar punch. The two stand out tracks for me............

Shock

The Mission

I'll give the album a 3 out of 5. Sorry, guys, it's just an average album for it's genre.
Love PS Album (not listened to the new one yet lol) :headbang:

Lynch

Been listening to a lot of Tesla lately. I wasn't even aware that they had a new album out (or coming out).

I like both of the songs that you posted. I'll definitely have to check out more. The only time that I have ever been disappointed by a Tesla album was back when they released Bust a Nut. At the time, I wasn't open to anything different than what I had gotten used to on their first 3 studio albums. Going back and listening to it recently for the first time in a long time, it's mostly a rock solid album.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Lynch

Tesla have had rock solid, kick butt albums all the way up to Simplicity. Simplicity is another album where the band has gone soft, IMO. Not that I dislike the last 2 albums, it just seems that they have lost that gritty edge.

Lynch

@Magic

Yeah, It took me a few times getting through Simplicity before I started liking it. I definitely don't love it like earlier releases, but it's still fairly solid. I really like their cover albums, they do a pretty good job on most of those tracks.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I haven't listened to any Tesla cover albums...that I can recall. I usually skip cover albums and live albums unless someone tells me they are a MUST to hear. One of my all time fav cover albums is Helloween's Metal Jukebox.

Lynch

Yeah, Metal Jukebox is damn good.

Both of the Reel to Reel albums are pretty decent.

Vol 1:
1557903598100.png

Vol 2

1557903635633.png

A Piece of Time is shorter and has a couple of Tesla re-recordings on it:

1557903711503.png