Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power Metal Sonata Arctica

Riff_Raff

Official Website
Wikipedia

Genre - Power Metal
Region - Finland
Formed - 1995

Current members

Studio albums:
Another great band from Finland that is known for their Power Metal sound but over years would gradually include more progressive structures and melodies into their albums. I do feel their strongest material are the first 3-4 albums but there's no real stinkers for me in this discography. Latter era albums have stuff to enjoy as well and I am keen on the new one coming in a week or two.

Letter To Dana will always be a favourite song of mine. Real emotionally driven ballad.

Cinderblox was a very experimental song with banjo and I really love this song. More metal bands could utilise banjo.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I'm a fan of Sonata Arctica. I'd have to say my fav album is Eliptica with Winterheart's Guild coming in second.

Letter to Dana is excellent! Another good ballad from Eliptica is Replica. (I'm ballad fan girl)

A ballad of sorts from Winterheart's Guild, Gravenimage.....the piano is awesome!

My fav from Winterheart's Guild is Victoria's Secret.......

Mr. Gregory

I like this band. I've only listened to three albums of theirs, Ecliptica, Reckoning Night, and The Ninth Hour. They're all pretty good, but Ecliptica is definitely my favorite. I generally prefer their faster songs, though some of their slower ones are okay.

As good as Don't Say a Word is, I actually like Xandria's cover of it even better than the original version. I'm pretty sure I posted it in their thread.

8th Commandment (from Ecliptica)

Don't Say a Word (from Reckoning Night)

Rise a Night (from The Ninth Hour)

Mr. Gregory

Ecliptica for me is their best but I mean the original one not the re-recorded one.
To each their own. I actually like them both. The original sounds more raw and bombastic, but I like the polish of the re-recorded one as well.

The original is pretty hard to find these days as far as legal streaming/digital purchase goes. I don't own it, and it's not available on Spotify. You've pretty much gotta import one of them there CDs. I ain't got time for that. :gig:

Riff_Raff

To each their own. I actually like them both. The original sounds more raw and bombastic, but I like the polish of the re-recorded one as well.

The original is pretty hard to find these days as far as legal streaming/digital purchase goes. I don't own it, and it's not available on Spotify. You've pretty much gotta import one of them there CDs. I ain't got time for that. :gig:
For the record the re-recorded one is actually decent and recommended for those who can't find the original but overall I prefer the original.