Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No Rest for the Wicked (1988)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: No Rest for the Wicked
Artist: Ozzy Osbourne
Genre: Heavy Metal
Released: 1988

Tracks:
1 - Miracle Man - 3:43
2 - Devil's Daughter - 5:15
3 - Crazy Babies - 4:15
4 - Breaking All the Rules - 5:12
5 - Bloodbath in Paradise - 5:03
6 - Fire in the Sky - 6:25
7 - Tattooed Dancer - 3:54
8 - Demon Alcohol - 4:28
9 - Hero - 4:50

Overview:
No Rest for the Wicked is the fifth studio album by British vocalist Ozzy Osbourne. It was released on October 22, 1988 and was re-issued / remastered on August 22, 1995 and again on June 25, 2002. The album was certified gold in December 1989 and has since gone double platinum. It peaked at number 13 on the Billboard 200. As of 2010, the album has sold over 2.5 million copies worldwide.

No Rest for the Wicked is the first album to feature the work of lead guitarist Zakk Wylde. After parting ways with lead guitarist Jake E. Lee, Osbourne received a demo tape from Wylde in 1987 and later hired him. Bassist/lyricist Bob Daisley made his return to Osbourne's band after the two had a falling out in 1985. Once the album's recording was complete, Daisley was once again out, replaced by Osbourne's former Black Sabbath bandmate Geezer Butler.

"Miracle Man", "Crazy Babies", and "Breakin' All the Rules" were released as singles with accompanying music videos. The song "Hero" was an unlisted hidden bonus track on the original 1988 release, and at that time was commonly believed to be named "Fools Know More". The song "Miracle Man" was a pointed barb aimed at disgraced televangelist Jimmy Swaggart (one line of the song being "Jimmy he got busted, with his pants down"). Swaggart had long been critical of Osbourne's music and live performances, before he himself was involved in a 1988 prostitution scandal.

Lynch

The intro to unknown guitar whiz Zakk Wylde and what an intro it was. I remember being pissed that Jake E Lee was gone from the band after The Ultimate Sin. Jake was one one of my biggest influences in why I ever picked up a guitar in the first place (along with a couple of other guys).

So I was a bit skeptical about the new Ozzy album, however, it didn't take long to realize that Ozzy picked up one hell of a replacement for Jake. I don't put Zakk and Jake on the same shelf in terms of abilities, especially in the beginning, however both are great at what they do. No Rest For the Wicked didn't disappoint back then and it still plays great to this day. Yet another album from Ozzy's glory years that is fantastic from the first note almost to the last. The only song that I'm not a huge fan of would be Demon Alcohol. Not a bad song, but it doens't measure up to the rest of the album. Hero, the "hidden bonus track" is a highlight to me. It's a slower, more melodic song, but something about it always appealed to me, from the very first listen.

Hero:

Fire in the Sky is another song that I've loved since the first time that I heard it. I've heard some people rip this song over the years, but it still sounds good to my ears. Again, a slower start and more of a melodic tune than some of the others.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB