Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mothers

Mr. Gregory

94qZh9xNOykl0s_sm4avQ7yjqi2f0f2r-z4kKUI4sXcE9roP3R0V_fesT3pAiXzR4AMl1zoUkauYxe2xjrGRJs-640x427.jpg

Current members:
  • Kristine Leschper (guitar, vocals)
  • Drew Kirby (guitar)
  • Patrick Morales (bass)
  • Matthew Anderegg (drums)
Albums:
  • When You Walk A Long Distance You Are Tired (2016)
  • Render Another Ugly Method (2018)

Mothers are an alternative/indie rock band from Georgia. They were the first modern alternative/indie rock band I got into when I started seriously perusing the genre a few years ago. I stumbled across them on Amazon Music one day, and since their album was available on Prime, I listened to it for free. It was much calmer and more relaxed than I was expecting at first, so I had to listen to it a second time and pay a little more attention before I could form an opinion on it. I was playing Rise of the Tomb Raider at the time and was just going through one of the tombs and solving a puzzle in the game, so I was pretty relaxed. By my second or third time through the album, I was like "wow, this is actually pretty darn good," and I ended up buying it. No regrets whatsoever.

Kristine has a sweet, mellow, yet powerful singing voice, and their overall sound is totally chill and laid-back. When I'm in the mood for that, these guys (and gal) really hit the spot. If Amorphis was my gateway band with regard to metal, Mothers was my gateway band as far as modern alternative/indie rock is concerned.

There isn't a bad song on this album. I highly recommend it. I like Audiotree's YouTube channel, too.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Thank You. What a pleasant surprise. Love the simple but highly effective guitar work. The mass seizure they had during the Copper Mine song was a treat.

Mr. Gregory

So, completely unbeknownst to be, Mothers signed with a new label, Anti-, and just released a new album this past Friday, Render Another Ugly Method. They're clearly experimenting, and their sound has changed a lot. They now sound a lot like many of the other quirky modern alternative rock bands I've heard. That's not necessarily a bad thing, but it's not necessarily a good thing either. I'm definitely gonna have to sample this one before I buy it.

Seriously, this stuff is weird, man. I'm listening to it and searching for a hook like

Mind you, in few days, I'll probably be like "this is my album of the year." :gig:

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Wow, I don’t know, they lost their edge. I liked the unpolishedness they had before. I did like the beginning of the Pink number. That magazine rack looks like mine.

Mr. Gregory

Wow, I don’t know, they lost their edge. I liked the unpolishedness they had before. I did like the beginning of the Pink number. That magazine rack looks like mine.
Yeah man, that's pretty much how I feel. This is a completely different band now. The folk rock sound is gone and has been replaced with dream pop. That being said, I'm going to listen to their new album in its entirety before I render my final verdict.

Here it is, streaming on their official Bandcamp page (Bandcamp is one of my favorite music sites):

https://mothers.bandcamp.com/album/render-another-ugly-method

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Mr. Gregory

Very strange stuff....but kinda refreshing to hear something that is different and not so mainstream.

Pink reminds me of Lykke Li. She records some strange dream type stuff. If you ever watched the Twilight movies you have heard some of her music. Pink reminds me of the song "Possibilities" by Lykki Li.