Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Does anyone like ambient, post-rock, mellow instrumental bands?

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I like a couple bands that are 99% instrumental music. I looked one up and it says the band is a post-rock band. OK...so what the heck is that?

Evidently, according to Wikipedia it means using instruments and electronic equipment to create textures rather than a traditional song structure. Post-rock borrows from ambience, minimalism, classical, progressive rock, space rock, and Krautrock. Most post-rock is instrumental. I have also seen this type music called Chillwave, which is a pretty good description. I get it....I think.

Popular post-rock bands are Sigur Ros, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, and Mogwai.

Anyway, If you listen to any of this type music, please list who you like and why. I am looking to try more of this music.

I currently like God Is An Astronaut. I know the band name is goofy, but the music is really good. They do have some vocals but not much. I find it more progressive / krautrock with a lot of piano work. Simply stunning music!

Another group I like is Paint The Sky Red. Also progressive but more ambient than God Is An Astronaut. They have a lot of guitar work and it is kind of drone-like but builds in layers with more instruments. Very cool to listen to.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
God is an Astronaut - Echoes

This group is Irish and they have 9 albums and are very similar to Tangerine Dream.

well as a musician in a band that does do instrumentals i can honestly say that I wish more bands did. Chillwave is one thing, most of what I hear in that genre is far from heavy, and I think this is where the whole idea of instrumentals falls off in the rock world- who said an instrumental has to be soft and etheral why can't it be scathing hard? Personally I have taken a number from the goth bands an just right amped it up. Personally ever since Black Sabbath started to do instruentals like Fluff and Dee I was sold on the idea

DrMaddVibe

Not really sure if this is the type band you're looking for in your description...however...this is a favorite of mine. I got to see them live in Detroit as well. I'd always imagined them to be musicians and the ending of BC- dawning of AD...on a desert dune...in a Bedouin tent enclave...food at your feet...seating on the ground...them playing for your dreams sake...invoking pleasant thoughts and telling of tales to end a day. Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls...I give you Dead Can Dance

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@DrMaddVibe

YESS! That is exactly the type music I am looking for. I have heard of Dead Can Dance and stumbled upon one of their albums quite a few years back....Into The Labyrinth. Their music is moody, ambient, with an ethnic flair. I am a not so good belly dancer and I have used this song for dance purposes........

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
well as a musician in a band that does do instrumentals i can honestly say that I wish more bands did. Chillwave is one thing, most of what I hear in that genre is far from heavy, and I think this is where the whole idea of instrumentals falls off in the rock world- who said an instrumental has to be soft and etheral why can't it be scathing hard? Personally I have taken a number from the goth bands an just right amped it up. Personally ever since Black Sabbath started to do instruentals like Fluff and Dee I was sold on the idea

I agree 100%. I like to hear heavy instrumentals....like Requiem of a Demon. (y)