Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diary of a Madman (1981)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
4.67 star(s) Rating: 4.67/5 3 Votes
Title: Diary of a Madman
Artist: Ozzy Osbourne
Genre: Heavy Metal
Released: 1981

Tracks:
1 - Over the Mountain - 4:31
2 - Flying High Again - 4:44
3 - You Can't Kill Rock and Roll - 6:59
4 - Believer - 5:17
5 - Little Dolls - 5:38
6 - Tonight - 5:50
7 - S.A.T.O. - 4:07
8 - Diary of a Madman - 6:17

Overview:
Diary of a Madman is the second solo studio album by British vocalist Ozzy Osbourne. It was recorded from the 9th of Feb to the 23 of March 1981. It was released on November 7, 1981, and re-issued on August 22, 1995. An altered version appeared in 2002 with the original bass and drum parts removed and re-recorded. In 2011, a Deluxe 30th Anniversary Edition was released.

Diary of a Madman was the final album to feature the work of guitarist Randy Rhoads prior to his death in 1982. This is also drummer Lee Kerslake's final appearance with Osbourne. Although bassist Rudy Sarzo and drummer Tommy Aldridge are credited in the liner notes and pictured on the inner sleeve, it was bassist Bob Daisley and drummer Kerslake who performed all bass and drum parts on the original release. Daisley also provided significant contributions to the album's songwriting, having written some of the music and most of the lyrics. They were not given credit for their contributions. According to a 2005 interview with Daisley, even though Don Airey is credited for having played keyboards on this record, it was in fact a musician named Johnny Cook (who had worked with Daisley in Mungo Jerry) who recorded the keyboard parts, as Airey was on tour with Rainbow at the time.

The album features several songs with acoustic/classical guitar intros, including "You Can't Kill Rock and Roll", "S.A.T.O.", "Tonight", and the title track. To date, the album has sold over 3.2 million copies worldwide.

Diary of a Madman was re-released in 2002 with the original bass and drum tracks (recorded by Bob Daisley and Lee Kerslake, respectively) removed and replaced by new recordings by Robert Trujillo and Mike Bordin.

In May of 2011 Sony Legacy re-released Diary of a Madman and Blizzard of Ozz, with the original bass and drum tracks restored. These are the Deluxe 30th Anniversary Editions with demos, rarities and previously unreleased live material. The set includes remastered editions of both albums on CD as well as vinyl. The two-disc Diary of a Madman portion of the package features a second CD entitled Ozzy Live, containing a previously unreleased live performance from the Blizzard of Ozz tour. The package also features a DVD documentary entitled Thirty Years After The Blizzard.

SiphonOfDestruction

Excellent contribution from all current members... Randy began to show his true colors here. My all-time favorite guitarist in one of my all-time favorite albums.

Lynch

Hell of an album. Would have been very interesting to see where Ozzy would have gone if Randy had not died in that tragic and senseless accident. Rumor has it that Randy was already sick of the RnR lifestyle and supposedly had considered leaving the band after the Diary tour. But with rumors being what they are, I can't substantiate it. If Randy had stuck with the band, it would have been cool to see him grow and watch his influence grow. If he had left, it would have been very cool to see what direction he may have gone with his music.

Anyway, I am not as enamored with this album like I am with all of the other albums from Ozzy's glory years. I like it, but don't absolutely love it.

My favorite track: You Can't Kill Rock and Roll

From the slower theme, to the lyrics to the melody to the kickass solo, everything about this song is awesome! :bow:

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB