Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dennis DeYoung (Styx)

Lynch

I have always liked Dennis DeYoung. I know that some were turned off by some of his ballady ways in Styx, but I like the guy.

About 20 yrs ago, he was in town for a show so he stopped by the local classic rock station for an in-studio interview that morning. They brought in a piano and he ended up sitting in with them for like 2+ hours, he'd play songs on the piano and was an all-around great interview. I gained a new level of fondness for him after that.

@Magic - This song is pretty good. Gave me goosebumps.

Edit: I was referring to the duet with Lennon. I didn't see the first video in the post yet, will listen to that next.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
I think the later stuff he offered up has overshadowed the heavier stuff he contributed to on the earlier albums. The guy knew how to rock on a Hammond and is an excellent piano player. What turns a lot of the heavier rock fans off is his vocals. For some reason to me, his vocals always seemed to take the edge off even the hardest of Styx songs, with a few excepions. Don't get me wrong, he could belt it out, Grand Illusion for example, his vocals actually sound manly, at least in the first part of the song. I thought Tommy Shaw was a big improvement in the vocals department, think Renegade and Blue Collar Man.

"To the good old days" is nice song, certainly better that most music out today. He blends well with Julian.

Last edited: