Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Traditional Metal Blue Cheer

Lynch

No...why should they. That album is probably required listening for the beginner into the world of Porcupine Tree. PT has quadruple the output of Pink Floyd and ZERO airplay. Let that sink in.
Why should they? I don't know. Legalities? Giving proper respect to the people that you ripped off? I don't know.

pretty thick irony in a thread where KISS and LZ are griped about for ripping off Blue Cheer, but PT is excused for a far more obvious rip off.

SMFH

Speed King

Content Creator
I have to agree, credit should be given in all cases when the riff is obviously borrowed from another band. I did search for writing credits and it's listed as Steve Wilson, and only Steve Wilson.

DrMaddVibe

Why should they? I don't know. Legalities? Giving proper respect to the people that you ripped off? I don't know.

pretty thick irony in a thread where KISS and LZ are griped about for ripping off Blue Cheer, but PT is excused for a far more obvious rip off.

SMFH
What exactly are you saying is a ripoff from PT?

They're a Prog band. Everyone in that band is on a par that only Dream Theater can match. They make stellar concept albums.

What chord progression is the theft occurring with? I'm really intimate with the album and it's one of my faves. LMK.

Speed King

Content Creator
I think I can answer that, it's the background riff of Run Like Hell, I'm surprised you can't hear the similarities, Doc, it's pretty striking.

Nothing against Porcupine Tree, I thought the tune was pretty cool, but I can't deny that the riff was heavily borrowed from Floyd.

DrMaddVibe

The timing is there...not even close as a note for note though. Personally the PT riff that rips into that song is a million times better than the one in "Run Like Hell". Tonally it might be set close...just not hearing a rip off though.

PLEASE give the entire album your time. You WILL be rewarded. The telling of a scientific recording of an acid trip...with a soundtrack.

Lynch

Nah, not Run Like Hell... listen to any/all of the parts of Another Brick in the Wall, it's so blatantly obvious the exact same thing that is in that PT song that was linked. (starting around the 2:00 mark of the PT track)

I mean, yeah, kind of like Run Like Hell, but the beat and the simple guitar part first appears in Pt1 of Another Brick in the Wall on side 1 of The Wall, it's carried through in a few other places across the album.

I dunno what else to say about it. My ears can hear it plain as day. And for the record, I'm not demonizing them for it, just pointing it out.

Last edited: