Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Badlands

Magic

Administrator
Staff member

Badlands-photo-e1476044393122.jpg

L to R : Greg Chaisson, Eric Singer, Ray Gillen, Jake E. Lee

Albums: (With links to the albums)

RIP Ray Gillen

Badlands was a hard rock band formed by Jake E. Lee, Ray Gillen, and Eric Singer after Jake E. Lee was fired from Ozzy Osbourne. They soon recruited bassist Greg Chaisson and released their debut album.

Dreams in the Dark

Winter's Call

I have always loved Ray Gillen's voice. Winter's Call is just beautiful, and badass all at the same time.

After the release of the debut album, Eric Singer quit the band and was replaced with Jeff Martin of Racer X and Leatherwolf. Then Badlands released Voodoo Highway.

The Last Time

Whiskey Dust

Soul Stealer

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
The Dusk album was released in Japan. The songs were recorded between 1992-1993 originally as a demo. There were heavy tensions between Jake E. Lee and Ray Gillen during this time, which led to Ray Gillen leaving the band. This album was released many years after the band was dissolved.

Sun Red Sun

The River

The Fire Lasts Forever

Lynch

It's too damn bad that the band fell apart. Ray Gillen's dimise was a huge loss to the hard rock community. Dude had a hell of a voice, and it fit perfectly in those first two Badlands albums. The first album is nearly flawless. We got to see and hear something from Jake E Lee that was held back a bit in his time with Ozzy (which was also brilliant, imho).

I haven't listened to Dusk in a while. I should give that a spin again.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Listened to VooDoo Highway today. Then I looked up an album that featured Ray Gillen since he has such an incredible voice....it was a supergroup type project. It was a band called Phenomena. Phenomena is credited for bringing back the "concept album" in the 80's. Anyway, Phenomena (the band) featured all kinds of different artists and Ray Gillen was featured in Dream Runner on "Stop", "No Retreat - No Surrender", "Move - You Lose", and "Emotion Mama"

R-2534929-1401867987-3314_jpeg.jpg

Stop

Move - You Lose

Milla

To me this album (Dream Runner) and also the first, Phenomena - 85 are incredible still, and 2 of my favorite albums to this day no doubt. Having two of the Beasts on Dream Runner (Gillen and Hughes) is to me like.. Heaven.
Btw, besides people that are really into finding genious bands from way back or actually were around when the first album was released of Badlands, it seems many don't even know this band ever existed. What a shame, incredible band and albums, love all 3 of them still.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Milla @Lynch

I stumbled across this the other day.....I had no clue Ray Gillen did some lead vocals on one of George Lynch's albums, Sacred Groove.

Flesh and Blood

Lynch

Heh, just addressed the Ray Gillen thing in a different thread. ;)

Yeah only one song. I remember when this album came out. I had heard that Gillen was on it (before buying it) and thought that Gillen was Lynch's new lead vocalist. I was happy with this album (although it took me a few listens to get into it as it was a step away from George's normal repertoire) but was please with the Gillen track. It's too bad that we didn't get more from those two together.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
I agree @Lynch . Gillen was an awesome vocalist. Ray &George together were a pair that reminds me of Ozzy & Randy. They fit together..

Lynch

Just fired up their third album, Dusk. I haven't listened to this album in probably quite a few years. Not because it isn't any good, but probably because I just don't have the attachment to this album like I do to the first two.

I can't say it enough , Jake E Lee is one hell of a guitarist. Everything that I've heard from him is outstanding. Even on average songs, this guy's playing style gets me. His ton, his phrasing, it just speaks to me. Definitely one of the most under-appreciated hard rock guitarists of all time.

And of course, Ray's vocals are always fantastic. Damn shame that we lost him far too in early in what could have been a long career.

1588196000836.png