Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First Impression Argent Moon {EP} - Insomnium (2021)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
69577-69579_insomnium_argend_moon_ep.jpg

Argent Moon {EP} - Insomnium (Finland)
Melodic Death Metal

Tracklist:
  • The Conjurer
  • The Reticent
  • The Antagonist
  • The Wanderer

Lineup:
  • Markus Hirvonen / Drums
  • Ville Friman / Guitars
  • Niilo Sevänen / Vocals, bass)
  • Markus Vanhala / Guitars
  • Jani Liimatainen / Guitars, vocals

I have listened to this EP twice, which is not enough to give a comprehensive review. However, I am so impressed that I couldn't wait to give my opinion and first impression. For full disclosure, I am just beginning my journey down the melodeath path and I am in no way an expert on what makes up the definition of melodic death metal nor am I well versed in what Insomnium has done in the past............but I like most of what I have discovered.

After listening to this EP twice, I am enamored with the beautiful melodies. The whole EP is like a lullaby to my ears. The lush guitar layers are infectious and the acoustic work is stunning. The vocals are well done, too. A nice mix of clean vocals and guttural whispers; I wouldn't say the growls are harsh or aggressive in the least. The foggy & hazy keyboards add to the soundscape.

To me, this EP is like a short story with only four chapters. The songs bleed together into a 23-minute-long journey of sadness. I don't mean this in a negative way because each 'chapter' of the story has its own feel. When these songs are put together, the music also becomes the story. In My Opinion, you can't separate the songs up individually, they are intended to be listened to in a 23-minute experience.

I rate this EP very high 4.5/5.

Riff_Raff

I feel like bands like Insomnium, Swallow the Sun, In Mourning are the better bands to get someone into melodeath on because of the lush melodies involved. A lot of people will cite bands like At the Gates, Soilwork, In Flames old stuff etc but for me it's the former ones I mentioned because they have more emphasis on the melodic part of melodeath and a lot of emphasis on setting an atmosphere of emotional connection.

Argent Moon typifies how much talent Insomnium has in this realm. Such an awesome EP.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@Riff_Raff

Well said! I like music with an atmosphere of emotion & melody that engages the listener. It doesn't have to be melodic death metal or doomy or gothic in nature, it just has to have an emotional connection.