Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

and the beat goes on...

brenluvbirds

was brought here by a friend! Love it all, hard rock, old rock, some new rock (grunge) but mostly oldies. A recent query to my friend who brought me here was "who likes Brownsville Station"? this comes straight from a message I sent to my friend:
"Their #1 hit that everyone knows is “smokin’ in the boy’s room”. I found they have a few albums out between 1974 and 1979, none of which I was familiar with before.
I don’t know much about them, but Wikipedia says they are from Michigan. The name Brownsville makes me think of Brownsville, Texas! When I was playing them at some point, I didn’t know what song was on the thread because I was looking at something else but it almost sounded a little like Alice cooper or KISS! “they call me rock and roll” is the title. I like the guitar on “sleazy Louise” too."
Anyone know of or like Mason Proffit or Phil Keagy and Glass Harp? Anyone remember Focus? they are Dutch but kinda have the "Tull" sound to them!

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Glad you could join us Bren! you will be a great addition to our site, I know you have a vast knowledge of old music and will fit it here beautifully! If you have any questions or need any help, feel free to PM me.

Just so you all know, Bren and I go all the way back to the early 80's, she's probably the oldest friend I have.

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Bren, I know I've never mentioned this band to you, but are you familiar with Poco?

I had a dog years ago I named Poco......after the band! No one I knew had ever heard of them. Legend is my fave album, but I have Rose of Cimarron, Indian Summer, and Under the Gun, too. (y)

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
when did you get Shannon the collie?
I'm going to go ahead and intercept this post. I once had a Irish Collie named Shannon, go figure, a collie is Irish, what better name for an Irish dog than Shannon. Anyway, I got Shannon back in about 1981, he was brilliant, and more important than that that, he was willing to take orders. I took Shannon everywhere I went. He was the smartest non-human I ever met, and the best friend I ever had. If there's a Heaven, he will be there waiting for me.

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Was doing a search on how Brownsville Station and found this excellent biography written by no other thane Cub Coda. I saw them back in 1977 opening for Uriah Heap. They wiped the floor with Heap. Heep shouldn't have even darkened the stage they sucked so bad. Brownsville Station just flat out rocked the place for an hour. At one point Cub Coda asked," does anyone have a spare joint?". I'm not sure how many hit the stage but there was a lot. Oh, they were actually formed in Ann Arbor in 1969.
http://brownsvillestation.com/history/biography.html

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
I'm going to go ahead and intercept this post. I once had a Irish Collie named Shannon, go figure, a collie is Irish, what better name for an Irish dog than Shannon. Anyway, I got Shannon back in about 1981, he was brilliant, and more important than that that, he was willing to take orders. I took Shannon everywhere I went. He was the smartest non-human I ever met, and the best friend I ever had. If there's a Heaven, he will be there waiting for me.
I got my first lab at the same time. She sounds just like him. Best dog I have ever had. I never worked with her to be a hunting dog but she took hand signals when she lost something I threw in the water. She also had a perfect 3 point stance when she saw some critter hiding in the bushes.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
She was a he, with a full working set of gear, I never did have him fixed.

His father was a Grand Champion.

His daddy's name was "Bronson's Boogie Bear".

Last edited: