Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

AC/DC Power Up appreciation thread

I thought of starting a thread on the band's latest album and comeback: POWER UP.
I'm an official member of the AC/DC website forum and I have the impression that Power Up has not been given a lot of appreciation. Assuming that die-hard Bon Scott fans have never really fully accepted Brian Johnson - and this is one aspect - what are your opinions on PWR UP in general ? Quite a few rockers have said that AC/DC's style if rock is repetitive...some of their albums are repetitive ....but Power Up is different; the band has arranged the songs (95%) in a different way with respect to their previous albums, this is probably because of the fact that the album, as per Angus and Brian, is dedicated to Malcolm Young and his way of interpreting the rhythm section. All in all, I think this album is a killer and not repetitive.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@triptych @Riff_Raff

I haven’t listened to Power Up.
I have always been an AC/DC fan whether it’s Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. I will give my thoughts once I can sit and listen to the album beginning to end. It’s hard to critique from just a few songs.

@triptych @Riff_Raff

I haven’t listened to Power Up.
I have always been an AC/DC fan whether it’s Bon Scott or Brian Johnson. I will give my thoughts once I can sit and listen to the album beginning to end. It’s hard to critique from just a few songs.
Sure ! You're right.
AC/DC IS Bon Scott, but since nobody is eternal or immortal, the only singer I could see heading the band is Brian Johnson. I grew up with AC/DC with Bon and I love AC/DC with Brian just the same :).
Regarding Bon, have I ever told you when I was a teen high school bum in Penrith, Sydney ? No ? Well, here goes - Bon sang in a pop-rock band called The Valentines way before AC/DC and they were practically nobodys. In the early 70s they played the high school circuits in Sydney and they appeared on a bill in my school.....I shook Bon's hand, exchanged some words with him and had a beer with him too - this is what my mates told me, because I was too drunk to remember it !!! :) ....bugger !
Little did I know that Bon would become the leader of one the greatest rock bands in the world !!!!!!
download - 2023-02-14T025353.522.jpeg

Riff_Raff

There are some intriguing riffs on Power Up like the twangy blues verse riff in Kick You When You're Down, melodic riffs in Through The Mists of TIme, the Delta Blues vibes to No Man's Land.

There are some intriguing riffs on Power Up like the twangy blues verse riff in Kick You When You're Down, melodic riffs in Through The Mists of TIme, the Delta Blues vibes to No Man's Land.
Yes, it is a bit diff from their previous albums, maybe because the rhythm section is enhanced somewhat.....well, this album IS dedicated to Angus's late brother Malcolm.

Riff_Raff

Yes, it is a bit diff from their previous albums, maybe because the rhythm section is enhanced somewhat.....well, this album IS dedicated to Angus's late brother Malcolm.
Also worth noting is Malcolm wrote with Angus every song as well. Song ideas were made before even Black Ice much like Rock or Bust was.

I remember buying both Power Up and another iconic album The Symbol Remains by a huge band, Blue Oyster Cult and thinking, well, rock is NOT dead - far from it - sorry Gene, but you're wrong :):):)