Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

43 greatest guitarests of all time

Lynch

WTF. Started at the bottom.... and by the time I got to number 40, I already said "WTF" 3 times.

Johnny Ramone?
Jerry Garcia?
Joni Mitchen?

Without going any further, I'd have to say that this looks a lot like some shit list that you'd see from Rolling Stone. If they want to go with "iconic" (maybe) or "had their place in history", then I'd agree. But greatest guitarist? Any of those three wouldn't get a wiff of the top 200, much less top 43. I'll keep going and comment again in a bit.

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
A list like this without even a mention of Joe Satriani? I can't even wrap my mind around the concept.

Last edited:

Lynch

Agreed. That infantile amateur Cobain in the top 20, but no Satch, Vai or Yngwie (or anyone of their ilk). Willie Nelson, who I happen to like, does not deserve to be on this list any more than the other three that i mentioned in the above post. Lynch, DiMartini, Jake E Lee, Randy Rhoads, Blackmore,

Yet Lennon, Buddy Holly, Keith Richard, Tom Petty and a few others that I don't remember now are scattered all over. I like Lennon, I like Holly, I like the Stones (both Lennon and Richards have been rhythm most of their careers) but where are any of the guys from Skynyrd, where is Mark Knopfler, where is Alex Lifeson, Buck Dharma, Paul Kossoff, ... eesh, I could go on and on and on.

Interesting list, but like always, full of "wtf is he/she doing here" moments and "how could they possibly miss this that and the other person"?

Last edited:

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
Agreed. That infantile amateur Cobain in the top 20, but no Satch, Vai or Yngwie (or anyone of their ilk). Willie Nelson, who I happen to like, does not deserve to be on this list any more than the other three that i mentioned in the above post. Lynch, DiMartini, Jake E Lee, Randy Rhoads, Blackmore,

Yet Lennon, Buddy Holly, Keith Richard, Tom Petty and a few others that I don't remember now are scattered all over. I like Lennon, I like Holly, I like the Stones (both Lennon and Richards have been rhythm most of their careers) but where are any of the guys from Skynyrd, where is Mark Knopfler, where is Alex Lifeson, Buck Dharma, Paul Kossoff, ... eesh, I could go on and on and on.

Interesting list, but like always, full of "wtf is he/she doing here" moments and "how could they possibly miss this that and the other person"?
This pretty much says it all.

DrMaddVibe

John McLaughlin
Lightning Hopkins
Jason Becker
Yngwie Malmsteen
John 5
Ace Frehley
Andy Summers
Adrian Belew
Robert Fripp
Steve Howe