Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Gathering

Mr. Gregory

af9fa16f4327703100583a2b2c4e932f_L-680x458.jpg

Official Website

Current members:
Notable former members:
Albums:
The Gathering is a Dutch alternative rock band. They started out as a gothic/doom metal band in the late '80s and shifted towards a more progressive/alternative rock style with How to Measure a Planet? in 1998. Anneke van Giersbergen (not related to my girl Dianne van Giersbergen, formerly from Xandria) was the lead singer until 2007, and Silje Wergeland took over those duties beginning with The West Pole in 2009. I dig both of their voices.

I own all of their albums from Souvenirs onwards. While I haven't listened to their discography extensively, as of this moment, I generally prefer their newer, alternative rock stuff. They're right in my wheelhouse - gentle, relaxing female vocals backed up by moody basslines on an atmospheric, chilled out backdrop. My current favorite album of theirs right now is Disclosure, which was also the first one of theirs that I heard, but Home and The West Pole are pretty good too. I don't really dislike any of their work, to be honest.

Waking Hour (from Home)

Treasure (from The West Pole)

Meltdown (from Disclosure)

Heroes for Ghosts (from Disclosure)

Gemini I (from Disclosure)

In Colour (from Beautiful Distortion)

Last edited:

joker1961

View attachment 252

Official Website

Current members:
Notable former members:
Albums:
The Gathering is a Dutch alternative rock band. They started out as a gothic/doom metal band in the late '80s and shifted towards a more progressive/alternative rock style with How to Measure a Planet? in 1998. Anneke van Giersbergen (not related to my girl Dianne van Giersbergen, formerly from Xandria) was the lead singer until 2007, and Silje Wergeland took over those duties beginning with The West Pole in 2009. I dig both of their voices.

I own all of their albums from Souvenirs onwards. While I haven't listened to their discography extensively, as of this moment, I generally prefer their newer, alternative rock stuff. They're right in my wheelhouse - gentle, relaxing female vocals backed up by moody basslines on an atmospheric, chilled out backdrop. My current favorite album of theirs right now is Disclosure, which was also the first one of theirs that I heard, but Home and The West Pole are pretty good too. I don't really dislike any of their work, to be honest.

Waking Hour (from Home)

Treasure (from The West Pole)

Meltdown (from Disclosure)

Heroes for Ghosts (from Disclosure)

Gemini I (from Disclosure)
New to this band but I like what I`ve heard thanks for posting:headbang:

Mr. Gregory

I had somehow completely forgotten about Beautiful Distortion and have been listening to it a lot over the past few days. It's really good. It's been a good choice for my long commute and my blood pressure.

If I had to choose, I'd probably go with Pulse of Life as my current favorite song from it, but I really do like the whole album and its laid-back vibe (and The Gathering's laid-back vibe in general).

When We Fall (from Beautiful Distortion)

Grounded (from Beautiful Distortion)

Pulse of Life (from Beautiful Distortion)

Lovely band.....been following them since their debut in 1992. One of those bands that do not fail to deliver each time :).
They know how to weave rock, prog and psychedelia together in the most magical way.