Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Foo Fighters

DrMaddVibe

Official Website

Foo Fighters is an American rock band, formed in Seattle, Washington in 1994. It was founded by Nirvana drummer Dave Grohl as a one-man project following the dissolution of Nirvana after the death of Kurt Cobain. The group got its name from the UFOs and various aerial phenomena that were reported by Allied aircraft pilots in World War II, which were known collectively as "foo fighters".
Prior to the release of Foo Fighters' 1995 debut album Foo Fighters, which featured Grohl as the only official member, Grohl recruited bassist Nate Mendel and drummer William Goldsmith, both formerly of Sunny Day Real Estate, as well as Nirvana touring guitarist Pat Smear to complete the lineup. The band began with performances in Portland, Oregon. Goldsmith quit during the recording of the group's second album, The Colour and the Shape (1997), when most of the drum parts were re-recorded by Grohl himself. Smear's departure followed soon afterward, though he would rejoin them in 2006.

They were replaced by Taylor Hawkins and Franz Stahl, respectively, although Stahl was fired before the recording of the group's third album, There Is Nothing Left to Lose (1999). The band briefly continued as a trio until Chris Shiflett joined as the band's lead guitarist after the completion of There Is Nothing Left to Lose. The band released its fourth album, One by One, in 2002. The group followed that release with the two-disc In Your Honor (2005), which was split between acoustic songs and heavier material. Foo Fighters released its sixth album, Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace, in 2007. The band's seventh studio album, Wasting Light, produced by Butch Vig was released in 2011, in which Smear returned as a full member. In November 2014, the band's eighth studio album, Sonic Highways, was released as an accompanying soundtrack to the Grohl-directed 2014 miniseries of the same name. On September 15, 2017, the band released their ninth studio album, Concrete and Gold, which became their second to reach #1 in the United States, and was the band's first studio album to feature longtime session and touring keyboardist Rami Jaffee as a full member.
Over the course of the band's career, four of its albums have won Grammy Awards for Best Rock Album. As of 2015, the band have sold 12 million copies in the United States alone.[3]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foo_Fighters

DrMaddVibe

I've always stated after Cobain's death...Dave WAS Nirvana. They weren't shit without him and afterwards you can hear his influence on the band. Another one of those "WHO KNEW" shoulder shrug moments...where you find out the drummer...yeah, the drummer...is the best part of the band???

You can hear Dave's leanings and where his musical "heritage" heralds from...KISS, Led Zeppelin, Clash and yes, even Frank Zappa for the smarmy in your face lyrics. Yeah, as he gets older he gets better. Through lineup changes its HIS sauce. I look forward to his releases like Christmas morning or birthday parties.

DrMaddVibe

Beautiful song, Doc. A beautiful setting to say "I Do"....
Thanks...it's at Hillsborough River State Park. I went to a florist to get her bouquet made and some pin on flowers for the wedding party. Got some extra roses too. Got to the site early that day and raked out the trail going from the parking lot to the spot we had picked out. I put rose petals in random places along the way. I was stopped while I was doing this by an elderly couple and they asked why I was doing it. I told them I was getting married. They were excited and saw the ceremony with us. It was very tight with both families and very close friends only. Except for them. I had the Beatles "Blackbird" playing for when they were walking up and a friend at the cd player ready to change it to the Foo Fighters song when her son and her were within sight distance. Another friend had Pearl Jam's "Betterman" as the after it was official song. She said that I was her "Better Man" that she was waiting for all this time. I was made for her and the timing had to be right for her to find me and for me to be ready for her. We took the song in a different direction than the meaning it was crafted in. Kinda like people using the Police's "I'll Be Watching You" (a song about a stalker!) as their wedding song. I can tell you we were all rocking back to the cars on our way back up the path! It was a really nice touch and the song means more to us each year. "It took a long way to come". We had both been with cheating partners that ran the gamut and now we only have each other. Love her more each passing day.

Last edited:

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
@DrMaddVibe a touching story. I knew you were a romantic at heart when I met you in TCR. The both of you are lucky to have each other. BTW, she is gorgeous!