Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review Steel Panther - Feel The Steel (2009)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Album: Feel The Steel
Artist: Steel Panther
Country of Origin: USA
Genre: Hair Metal / Parody Metal / Heavy Metal
Released: October 6, 2009
Label: Universal Records
Purchase: Here

4023508563_b8808659d7.jpg

2qu7vgp_th.gif

1."Death to All But Metal" (feat. Corey Taylor)
2."Asian Hooker" (feat. Corey Taylor & Scott Ian)
3."Community Property"
4."Eyes Of A Panther" (feat. Corey Taylor)
5."Fat Girl (Thar She Blows)"
6."Eatin' Ain't Cheatin'"
7."Party All Day (**** All Night)" (feat. Justin Hawkins)
8."Turn Out the Lights" (feat. M. Shadows)
9."Stripper Girl"
10."The Shocker"
11."Girl From Oklahoma"
12."Hell's On Fire"

Personnel:
•Michael Starr - Lead/Backing Vocals
Satchel - Lead/Rhythm/Acoustic Guitars; Backing Vocals
•Lexxi Foxxx - Bass Guitars; Backing Vocals
•Stix Zadinia - Drums; Backing Vocals
With:
•Justin Hawkins {Hot Leg} - Co-Lead Vocals (Track 7)
•M. Shadows {Avenged Sevenfold} - Co-Lead Vocals (Track 8)
•Allison Robertson {The Donnas} - Lead Guitars (Track 7)
•Scott Ian {Anthrax} - Rhythm Guitars (Track 2)
•Corey Taylor {Slipknot}- Backing Vocals (Tracks 1,2 and 4)
•Matt Nelson {Nelson band } - Backing Vocals (Tracks 4,5,6 and 10)
•Brett Anderson {The Donnas}- Backing Vocals (Track 4)
•Joe Lester {Silversun Pickups}- Backing Vocals (Tracks 3,5,6 and 10)
•Rene Ruston - Female Voice (Track 6)
•Michael Lord - Orchestration (Track 3)

Steel Panther isn’t a new band, they have been around since 2000. "Feel the Steel" is the second studio release from the band and the first release on a major label. The band isn’t your typical 80’s hair metal band, but a parody of all things that glam from the 80’s and 90’s. They have a fantastic image, from the skin tight spandex pants, hairsprayed big hair, to the make-up and stage antics that made the glam bands so fun.

Steel Panther takes a huge comical stab at the glam and hair metal of the 80’s/90’s with borrowed riffs, over exaggerated personas, and blatantly in-your-face raunchy cliché lyrics. Is this band silly? Of course, but also brilliant at the same time. The music has some catchy riffs and Satchel delivers his fair share of original chops and his solos are superb, which makes the songs worth listening to. Satchel’s acoustic work on the ballads are completely original and expertly performed. The vocals of Starr are very powerful and soar in the ballads on "Feel the Steel", his vocal ability is what makes this band shine. Starr can hit the highs and the lows, dish out the grit and the gravel, and yet be as smooth as glass. The music is the strong point of the album, the music is full of energy and fun to listen to.

The biggest flaw in the album are the lyrics. Although, meant to be a parody of all the cliché lyrics of glam metal, the lyrics on "Feel the Steel" are downright raunchy, brash, and foul . The lyrics take the hilarity of the cliché too far, IMO. The lyrics are extremely juvenile with some pretty intense shock value. Some would call this brilliant, I just call it mildly funny with a touch of brilliance that completely lacks class. Is it a move of genius? It just could be. Parody in music is nothing new, glam metal is nothing new, foul lyrics are nothing new, but when you couple them together, and package them as Steel Panther then it comes across shockingly brilliant. If a listener can get past the shock value of the lyrics, then the humor does shine through. Oh! And don’t forget, the music is fantastic.

I give this one a 3.5/5

Oldhippie

Resident Yooper
Eh, their OK for about 1 1/2 songs then the novelty wears off. Death to all but metal would have much more amusing if they weee talking about butt metal.

Riff_Raff

I think the lyrics add to the facetious charm of the band. Musically they are great also. In a world full of PC there needs to be boundary pushing bands like this. I guess to be fair that would also have been done by many Black and Death Metal bands too. Lol A fair review even though I disagree with the criticism of the lyrics. I respect your view though as they're definitely a band that isn't everyone's cup of tea.