Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Review Spellwitch - The Witching Hour (2018)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Album: The Witching Hour
Artist: Spellwitch
Country of Origin: Finland
Genre: Traditional Heavy Metal / Power Metal
Released: March 31, 2018
Label: Stormspell Records
Purchase: Here or Here

13945441_f520.jpg

23u90g0_th.gif

1. Spellwitch
2. Wreath of Fire
3. Across the Universe
4. Trust in Fire
5. Magic Scrolls
6. Night Sky (Take Me Under)
7. Legacy of Greed
8. Unwelcome Guests
9. The Witching Hour

While listening to this album for the first time, I did some research into the mastermind behind the album, Kimo Perämäki, who is the primary musician (except bass), vocalist, and songwriter. He was the former vocalist for Celesty, a Finnish power metal band that is very similar to Helloween and Gamma Ray. I knew immediately I was going to like this album if the music was anything like either of those bands.

Upon my first listen, I was impressed at how reminiscent The Witching Hour is of 80's German metal bands. I would put Witchspell in the same class as Blind Guardian, Helloween, Edguy, and Gamma Ray. Not that the music of Witchspell is anything ground breaking, but this debut album is very enjoyable, well written and executed with precision. The Witching Hour contains outstanding melodies, aggressive guitars, thunderous solos, catchy vocal choruses, and soaring vocal displays which put me in mind of Michael Kiske and Dio. The album has excellent production, everything is clearly heard and understood. The album runs just a bit over 30 minutes, it will impress without wearing out it's welcome. Perämäki plays all the instruments except bass, which is played by Ossi Raiski, and he plays those instruments masterfully. You would never guess there is not a full band behind the album. The Witching Hour has a nice song flow, there isn't one piece of filler on the album. Plus I just have to give bonus points for such a cute kitty on the album cover.

I highly recommend The Witching Hour. Those of you who enjoy melodic metal and power metal will definitely enjoy this two man project. Give it a listen, you will be drawn into the Witchspell coven.............

My overall rating: :skull2::skull2::skull2::skull2:(That's a 4/5)