Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Psychedelic rock (or stoner, if you prefer) of the past & present

After HR, my fav rock genre is psychedelic and heavy psych rock ( today they call it "stoner", but what's in a name?:)).
So I thought of starting a thread on it. This genre is considered pretty much underground, but I love it. In the 60s, around about '69, before it morphed into HR, music was psychedelic with Farfisa keyboards and Voxx guitars with lots of fuzz (e.g. Count V, Roky Erickson & 13th Floor Elevators, etc). Bands like Status Quo, Iron Butterfly, but also traditional rock bands like early Deep Purple and Black Sabbath started off as psychedelic acts... what they did was to turn up the volume of the amps and cut down on the distortion and fuzz....and wa la , you have HR :)

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Electric Cult & Wooden Ships are new to me but I’m not a noob to Psychedelic or Stoner.

Early 60’s psych like Cream, Velvet Underground, Strawberry Alarm Clock, Yardbirds….

Beck Era Yardbirds - heart full ofsoul

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
i guess we could put The Grateful Dead in this group because they definitely had some great Stoner songs…..Well maybe it was Garcia who was stoned…lol

truckin

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Do you remember High Times Magazines?

here is a hidden gem ….1981….an EP

trivales - end of the world

i guess we could put The Grateful Dead in this group because they definitely had some great Stoner songs…..Well maybe it was Garcia who was stoned…lol

truckin
Well, Jerry & Co were my first acid jam band I listened to.....after them, it was rock history for me.....Quicksilver M.S., Jefferson Airplane, Lovin Spoonful, Pink Floyd, the Byrds and the like .....you name it, I heard it :)

I'm listening to this now. So far so good! Looking for information on this band....not much online about them. They are fairly new, right?
They get my approval and a female in the band to boot! Nice find.
Yes, quite new. Probably there's some info on Bandcamp or their FB page or even Wikipedia. I've been following this outfit for a while now and keep coming back for more :)
I've been discovering many female-fronted rock bands lately and what I hear is candy to my ears! Other FF rock bands I dig are: Blues Pills, Ginger, Halestorm, Vixen, Girlschool, L7, The Dandelion, Stonefield (both from Australia), etc.

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Maybe Hole is grunge not psych rock , but just to let you know :):)
Grunge is good. I'm a grungy girl...(y)
And no I was not familiar with Hole. They could've picked a better name for a female fronted band......."Introducing Courtney Love...Hole"........I'm not a Courney fan nor am I a very big Cobain fan. Just sayin'......lol