Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Symphonic Northern Kings

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
f_9971864.jpg

Band Info
Members:
  • Marco Hietala (Nightwish)
  • Tony Kakko (Sonata Arctica)
  • Juha-Pekka Leppalouto (Charon)
  • Jarkko Ahola (Terasbetoni)

Albums:
  • Reborn (2007)
  • Rethroned (2008)

Northern Kings is a symphonic power metal supergroup of four metal vocalists who have recorded 2 albums of nothing but cover songs. Not just any cover songs, songs that were not meant to be metal, let alone symphonic power metal. They did a phenomenal job!!!! I feel confident saying they are the best cover band EVER........

What is the most unique quality, IMO, is the vocal layering of these cover songs by the 4 vocalists. Sometimes all 4 will perform on a song, and other times one vocalist will take the lead. These 2 albums have outstanding production. I challenge you to give them a listen, I bet you will be blown away how magnificent these covers are.

R-1534449-1272563525_jpeg.jpg

Tina Turner cover "We Don't Need Another Hero" features all 4 vocalists

Peter Gabriel's Sledgehammer with Tony Kakko as vocalist

And The Stunning cover of Lionel Ritchie's Hello (this one is my favorite off the album) with Jarkko Ahola as vocalist

If you are interested, the full album...

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
41WCfbiWWFL.jpg

A Seal cover "A Kiss From A Rose" ft. all 4 vocalists....whodathunkit could be so fantastic!!!!

A smokin' cover of Bon Jovi's "Wanted Dead or Alive" with Marco Hietala as vocalist

A Thin Lizzy cover "Black Rose: A Rock Legend" ft. Jarkko Ahola & Marco Hietala on vocals.

Lynch

Just listened to Sledgehammer. Not bad. It's catchy.

Hello sounds really good. It's like a symphonic metal version of the original, while staying VERY true to the original and not straying too far into some other realm. Two thumbs up for that one. Will listen to more in a bit.

Latest posts