Hard Rock Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Van Halen (1978)

Speed King

Administrator
Staff member
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 3 Votes
Title: Van Halen
Artist: Van Halen
Genre: Hard Rock
Released: 1978

Tracks:
1 - Runnin' With the Devil - 3:37
2 - Eruption - 1:42
3 - You Really Got Me - 2:37
4 - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love - 3:49
5 - I'm the One - 3:46
6 - Jamie's Cryin' - 3:30
7 - Atomic Punk - 3:01
8 - Feel Your Love Tonight - 3:42
9 - Little Dreamer - 3:22
10 - Ice Cream Man - 3:19
11 - On Fire - 3:00

Overview:
Van Halen is the debut studio album by American rock band Van Halen, released in February 1978. Recorded in 1977, Van Halen sold over ten million copies in the US alone, becoming one of the most successful debuts by a rock band. Along with 1984, it gives Van Halen two original albums with diamond status in sales.
The album cover was shot at the Whisky a Go Go. The guitar pictured on the cover of the album is Edward Van Halen's famous Frankenstrat Guitar, made from a neck purchased from Boogie Bodies and a Stratocaster style body custom made by Wayne Charvel in California and assembled in his parents' garage. In 2003, the album was ranked #415 on Rolling Stone magazine's list of the 500 greatest albums of all time. In 2006, Guitar World readers ranked it #7 on a list of the Greatest Guitar Albums of All Time.

1 - Running With the Devil 3:36
2 - Eruption 1:43
3 - You Really Got Me 2:38
4 - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love 3:49
5 - I'm the One 3:46
6 - Jamie's Cryin' 3:27
7 - Atomic Punk 3:01
8 - Feel Your Love Tonight 3:43
9 - Little Dreamer 3:23
10 - Ice Cream Man 3:20
11 - On Fire 3:01

Magic

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks @Speed King for all the videos!

I remember when this came out.........David Lee Roth was the most energetic frontman, jumping off speakers and twirling the mic stand like a baton. Never heard anything like Eddie before, either. I think I wore out 2 eight tracks, I listened to this so much.

Lynch

For all of the people that say that Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman of all time, I'd challenge them and ask if they ever saw Diamond Dave during VH's first 5 or 6 tours. Dave had poise, he had energy and the guy was MADE to be a lead singer. Not because his voice was so incredible, but he had charisma that VERY few others have ever had (if anyone to the level that he did).

Van Halen's debut album is arguably one of the top debut albums of all time, by any band, any genre. (I mean, like top 2 or 3) Eddie was a game changer in the face of rock music. Not that every little nuance of his playing style was completely unique (there are videos of Ace Frehley tapping back in 1975), but he did it SO proficiently and effortlessly. I've watched a lot of Van Halen vids over the years and many Eddie vids/interviews. The guy is still one of the coolest guitar players that ever lived. Apparently his personality isn't the cheeriest, but that doesn't take away from his guitar skills.

Van Halen 1 (along with 1984) are the only two Van Halen albums that I can say that I've owned on all three formats: vinyl, cassette and cd. And they ALL got played to death.

SiphonOfDestruction

For all of the people that say that Freddie Mercury was the greatest frontman of all time, I'd challenge them and ask if they ever saw Diamond Dave during VH's first 5 or 6 tours. Dave had poise, he had energy and the guy was MADE to be a lead singer. Not because his voice was so incredible, but he had charisma that VERY few others have ever had (if anyone to the level that he did).

Van Halen's debut album is arguably one of the top debut albums of all time, by any band, any genre. (I mean, like top 2 or 3) Eddie was a game changer in the face of rock music. Not that every little nuance of his playing style was completely unique (there are videos of Ace Frehley tapping back in 1975), but he did it SO proficiently and effortlessly. I've watched a lot of Van Halen vids over the years and many Eddie vids/interviews. The guy is still one of the coolest guitar players that ever lived. Apparently his personality isn't the cheeriest, but that doesn't take away from his guitar skills.

Van Halen 1 (along with 1984) are the only two Van Halen albums that I can say that I've owned on all three formats: vinyl, cassette and cd. And they ALL got played to death.
Took my exact words and almost my sentiments!

I love DLR's Van Halen. It was the first hard rock album I ever bought. One of my favorite albums of all time.

I went up to my parents and asked them, "I've listened to so much Deep Purple that I need something new. What can you introduce me to with guitar as good as Blackmore and a frontman as good as Gillian?"

They both chuckled and looked at each other and started singing Ice Cream Man.

SiphonOfDestruction

One of my favorite tracks was always Little Dreamer. The solo is mediocre in comparison to Eddie's others but the riffs are tasty.. It's a more mellowed out tune and a little sad.

Always liked Jamie's Cryin' too. Sounded like someone was crying in that main riff.

Music information in first post provided by The AudioDB